Data Scientist - Research & Economics
Our policy data scientists support our policy issue experts around the world, equipping them with data to support our public policy positions. The Economics team produces in-house research and collaborates with world-leading academics to understand our marketplace and improve our product.
About the Role
We are seeking individuals with a background in economics (or other quantitative fields combined with experience in public policy) to drive top cross-functional priorities for the company. Our team conducts research and analysis that forms the foundation for business decisions and our policy positions.
We have openings on three sub-teams. If you have a preference for one or more of them, please indicate on your resume or a cover sheet:
The Earnings team primarily focuses on analyzing take-home pay for drivers and delivery people, evangelizing this knowledge, and engaging with teams across the company on earnings-related products, public-facing earnings claims, and more.
The Special Projects team is responsible for addressing the thorniest policy and business challenges impacting Uber globally, taking into account competitive, legal, operational, and product considerations and helping leadership weigh each of these when in opposition.
The Mobility Research team works to understand Uber's impact on urban mobility and transportation systems, build sources of truth for local Policy & Comms teams, and collaborate with academics on robust original research.
What You'll Do
- Bring analytical and empirical rigor to bear on important questions relating to Uber's marketplace
- Think critically about research questions
- Design and implement data analysis and data pipelines in SQL/R/Python
- Conduct careful statistical and econometric analysis in support of our policy priorities, collaborating with teams in HQ and globally
- Present economic reasoning and analytical results to internal audiences (e.g., our leadership team) and external audiences (e.g., policy partners)
- Conduct independent research on driver earnings, e.g., modeling the cost of driving to understand driver net profit, studying earnings variation across drivers, etc.
- Ensure teams across Uber understand and consider impacts of their decisions on the driver (earnings) experience
- Special Projects:
- Ensure alignment between policy research and business strategy, building on a rich understanding of - and relationships across - policy, product, legal, data science, and operations
- Mobility Research:
- Build sources of truth to better understand Uber's impact on congestion, public transportation, accessibility, equity, and other topics
- Collaborate with external partners in academic, government, and nonprofit organizations
- Experience in data science, with a demonstrable ability to learn and/or use tools such as SQL, Python, and R to work efficiently at scale
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and communicate complex topics to audiences with different backgrounds
- A track record of working independently and conducting research with minimal oversight
- A bachelor's degree in economics, statistics, math, computer science, transportation engineering, or another quantitative field, or 2+ years of experience in data science; candidates with a relevant PhD and/or extensive experience will be evaluated (and compensated) commensurate with their education and experience
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to develop and maintain collaborative and productive research relationships with other teams around the company
- The ability to balance attention to detail with swift execution, including the ability to deliver on tight timelines
- Experience in policy research and/or applied economics, particularly background in developing and bringing quantitative evidence to bear on public policy and legal strategies
- Passion for learning!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber