Data Scientist - Marketplace Fairness
About the Role
We are looking for data scientists to join the new marketplace fairness research team. We are dedicated to proactively identifying and mitigating the potential for bias or disparate impact across our products, as part of our anti-racism commitments. We help address disparities by conducting research and analysis to define, understand, track, and communicate about fairness issues. We work as quantitative partners with product, legal, and operations to help translate abstract principles, legal requirements, and technical research into workable policies and recommendations for our business.
We are seeking individuals with a strong quantitative background - either in academic research or industry - and an ability to think critically about a research question and design and implement data analysis and pipelines in SQL/R/Python. This role may be a good fit if you're interested in transportation equity, platform fairness, and algorithmic responsibility.
What You'll Do
- Conduct detailed and careful statistical analysis to understand potential disparate impact and avoid algorithmic harms or unintended side-effects
- Further develop systematic mechanisms to detect bias or disparate impact at scale, and work cross-functionally with partners across the company to assess potential solutions
- Present your analytical results to internal audiences (e.g., our leadership team) and external audiences (e.g., policy partners, civil rights advocates, regulators, and the general public)
- Experience in data science, with a demonstrable ability to learn and/or use tools such as SQL, Python, and R to work efficiently at scale
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and communicate complex topics to audiences with different backgrounds
- A track record of working independently and conducting research with minimal oversight
- A bachelor's degree in economics, statistics, math, computer science, or another quantitative field; candidates with a relevant PhD and/or extensive experience will be evaluated (and compensated) commensurate with their education and experience
- Experience doing research on fairness or discrimination that has been published or communicated publicly; alternatively, experience helping large organizations design fairness testing, or measure and put in place policies to fight discrimination
- Experience in policy research, particularly a background in developing and bringing quantitative evidence to bear on public policy questions
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to develop and maintain collaborative and productive research relationships with other teams
- Passion for learning and using technical skills for social good!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada