Senior Software Engineer II (Backend) - Grocery
Uber Eats is the fastest growing food delivery platform in the world, just over the last year we have doubled our gross bookings! Our team's work at Uber Eats directly impacts and continues to impact our communities. We help feed the Eater, and we help the merchants stay in business.
You would be joining an exciting new team, focussed on taking Uber Eats beyond food delivery to Grocery, Alcohol, and other verticals. Uber Grocery is an exciting new team with an ambitious mission that has already been launched in several countries around the world.
Come join us in our NYC office to be part of a thriving culture, while solving challenging problems at scale. Be sure to check out the Uber NYC Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Technical Competency: Demonstrates and applies broad, in-depth knowledge to build and maintain backend services and solutions to support user-facing products, downstream services, or infrastructure tools and platforms used across Uber, which could include developing and maintaining large-scale multi-tenant services and/or customized solutions based on existing backend infrastructure; monitoring on-prem or cloud-hosted software and infrastructure operations and detecting outages/issues in network or server environments; identifying, analyzing, and resolving system availability, reliability, and performance issues. Serves as a technical resource and expert across teams on industry standards and best practices to solve complex problems. Improves and leads the adoption of Uber technical and industry standards across teams.
- Coding: Writes high-quality code (i.e., reliable, readable, efficient, testable), provides quality code reviews, and creates comprehensive tests and quality documentation to solve strategically important problems. This includes knowledge of data structures, algorithms, programming and associated programming languages and frameworks, and major phases/activities of the software research and development life cycle (e.g., requirements, design, build, experiment, test, debug, deploy, monitor). Directs and executes the resolution of complex technical problems across teams according to standards and best practices.
- Design & Architecture: Leads cross-team efforts to learn requirements and consolidate and translate vaguely defined business or technical problems into executable and extensible designs. Anticipates business needs and develops designs that meet current needs and can be extended for future needs. Identifies and solves architectural gaps and reduces technical debt across teams.
- Efficiency & Being a Force Multiplier: Creates and promotes efficiency and speed across teams by leveraging and improving existing solutions, developing extensible solutions, and reconciling gaps and redundancy across teams. Identifies opportunities and advocates for better performance and efficiency of software, systems, processes across teams.
- Operational Execution: Leads long-term technical projects and solutions with drive and appropriate sense of urgency to deliver technical and business impact across teams. Plans, organizes, and manages tasks, resources, and timelines across teams to accomplish work accurately and on time. Defines and diagnoses significant problems and determines an appropriate solution, recommendation, or decision while logically evaluating alternatives and factors (e.g., resources, costs, tradeoffs). Anticipates risks and develops mitigation strategies, assigning ownership of components of solutions to other engineers or groups of engineers.
- Collaboration: Encourages and promotes ideas/opinions of others from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Identifies, builds, and leverages strategic, collaborative, and trusting relationships across teams. Recognizes conflict or disputes among people and situations; holds self and others accountable for actively seeking out, sharing and incorporating diverse points of view to align teams on shared goals.
- Citizenship: Enhances the effective functioning of Uber by participating in and promoting activities and efforts that contribute to the engineering and/or people culture across teams such as proactively mentoring and teaching junior engineers. Represents multiple teams to the broader community through participation in internally- and/or externally-focused engagements (e.g., tech talks, open source, conferences, team building).
- PhD or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field AND 2-years full-time Software Engineering work experience OR 5-years full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 3-years total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java, Python, or Go)
- Note the 3-years total of specialized software engineering experience may have been gained through education and full-time work experience, additional training, coursework, research, or similar (OR some combination of these). The years of specialized experience are not necessarily in addition to the years of Education & full-time work experience indicated.
- Distributed systems
- Product engineering
- Scalability engineering
For Colorado-based applicants: Please refer to this role in our careers page for more details on your total compensation and benefits package. You can get there by clicking 'apply' if you're not already on our careers site. #LI-Remote
For Colorado-based roles: The salary/hourly rate range for this role is $182,250 per year - $202,500 per year. You will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award, commissions, & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada