Please enable Javascript
Skip to main content

Pathways for second chances

Should a criminal record prevent you from getting a job?

We believe the answer is no. More than 70 million Americans have criminal records, which can make it difficult for them to get work and make a living. Uber is part of a growing movement of companies and policymakers committed to giving people a second chance.

OUR CONTRIBUTION

Supporting programmes that break the cycle of reoffending

We support initiatives that help provide opportunities to everyone who wants – and deserves – a second chance.

Uber has always omitted the box

Many employers have a tick box on their job applications asking if a potential employee has a criminal record. Uber’s corporate job applications don’t. In fact, we encourage other companies to review their internal recruitment practices to reduce biases and ensure fair chances within the workplace.

We also took the pledge to help

In 2016, we signed the White House Fair Chance Business Pledge, joining the Obama administration, along with more than 200 companies across the tech, retail, financial, and food and beverage industries, to eliminate barriers for those with criminal records.

Stories

One mistake shouldn’t have to lead to a lifetime of punishment. At Uber, we’re committed to working within our communities to help provide opportunities to those who need them most. Whether it’s a reliable trip across town or the ability to pay bills at the end of the month, the same chances should exist for everyone. We’ve seen first hand what opportunity can mean for someone and how it can change their lives for the better.

Mother, grandmother, advocate

Ingrid is a mother and grandmother. After going to prison for a non-violent offence, she was granted early release and now actively helps formerly incarcerated men and women in Los Angeles get a fresh start. She also drives with Uber.

”I found it so easy to want to work and, since I have kids, I always have something to do with the kids … and I have the confidence of knowing that I can still provide”.

A modern entrepreneur

Darrington works in property sales and drives with Uber. He has provided thousands of trips and receives consistently high ratings from riders. It took years to get certified for his work in property sales after serving time in prison. But Darrington is not alone. Across the US, millions struggle after paying their debt to society for past mistakes. Studies show that a past criminal conviction of any sort reduced the likelihood of a job offer by 50 per cent.

"You should give people a second chance to prove themselves."

Supporting communities

1/3