Uber is a technology company headquartered in San Francisco. We are a global mobility and logistics technology platform: our flagship service allows users to request quality, on-demand rides and food with a touch of their smartphone and we are rapidly developing new products. We are present in over 450+ cities worldwide, including over 50+ cities in EMEA with plans to rapidly expand in the region. We have already found strong product market fit with a world changing service, but we’re only just getting started.
About policy at Uber
Our public policy team is responsible for working with policymakers, regulators and third parties to make the positive case for Uber as a platform.
That’s partly about building lasting relationships in the cities where we operate with politicians and their staff so they understand the benefits of Uber’s services. It also about figuring out the best regulatory framework and then developing campaigns to push reform through.
About this Role
We are looking for someone to lead our Government Affairs & Policy efforts in Southern Europe, based in Madrid, reporting directly to our Head of Public Policy and Government affairs for Western and Southern Europe.
This role will involve:
- Developing and implementing Public policy and Government Affairs strategies in the sub-region.
- Building and nurturing ecosystems, as well as engaging with public and private stakeholders —including governments, regulators, third parties and academics on a range of policy issues of interest to the company mainly in Southern Europe.
- Partnering with global and regional teams to build stakeholder engagement strategies, and campaigns that promote and enhance the overall reputation of Uber as a platform.
- Partnering with the Southern Europe Leadership & Operations teams across Rides, Eats and Jump to support balanced growth of our business.
- Support Uber’s Public Policy team across the sub-region.
What We’re Looking For
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up. Stuff changes fast in our world so you’ll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure.
- A great advocate: We’re looking to create new regulatory frameworks that encourage innovation and alternatives to individual car ownership. You’ll need the intellectual fire power to grasp complex policy issues as well as the ability to articulate clearly and simply how apps like Uber can help improve transportation for everyone—both orally and in writing.
- An expert negotiator: An ideal candidate will know how to navigate complex partnerships in both the private and public sector spheres, creating outcome where everybody wins.
- A strong campaigner: Smartphone apps can be disruptive, and the interests being disrupted are deeply entrenched. So you’ll need passion and dedication to put together proactive campaigns that demonstrate there’s a better alternative to today’s outdated status quo. That means having a bias for action in everything you do—and a willingness to engage in debates, that can often become heated.
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams around shared goals. It’s why we’re looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done and who have the ability to build trusting and long-lasting relationships internally and externally. .
Ideally, you would have 10+ years experience working with institutions, government officials, parliament in understanding and managing policy issues; proven ability to evolve in complex environment is required. A strong interest in digital and mobility issues in Spain will be key. Openness to dive deep into the new lines of business. Excellent written and oral communication skills, both in English, Spanish and Italian with a demonstrated ability to engage policy concepts with diverse stakeholders is essential.