Getting a wheelchair accessible vehicle
Leasing program overview
Find out more about our leasing partner, Jim Peplinski Leasing.
How to start driving with uberWAV
1. Get a WAV or bring your own
To start driving, you can acquire a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) with our local leasing partner, Jim Peplinski Leasing or bring your own qualified WAV. Our local leasing partner provides a flexible lease for WAV’s with an option to end the lease early⁵. The lease also includes unlimited kilometres so you can drive as much as you want.
2. Complete a WAV course
Once you have been approved for the lease, you must complete a certified accessibility training course. Here, you will learn how to assist differently abled riders, as well as operate the wheelchair utilizing features of the vehicle. You are also welcome to arrange your own course by a recognized provider.
3. Hit the road with uberWAV
Once your vehicle is ready, you’re all set to start. Open the Uber Driver app and you’ll receive both uberX and uberWAV requests from riders. Note that you can only receive uberWAV trip requests from within the City of Toronto.
We have partnered with Jim Peplinski Leasing, a local leasing company that can help you obtain a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV)—with a lease designed specifically for people who drive with Uber.
- 2016/17 Dodge Caravan with side-entry ramp
- Unlimited kilometers
- Safety inspections
- Option to exit the lease at any time with 30 days notice and a $300 early termination fee¹
- Lease price is ~$295 per week²
- First lease payment due when the vehicle is picked up
- Lease initiation fee is $100
- Lease can be ended early and returned to JPLI with 30 days notice and a $300 early termination fee ³
- Leaseholder (lessee) is responsible for gas and personal insurance policy
One-time WAV promotions
- $100 for your first trip after completing your approved WAV course
- $100 for your first trip in a qualified WAV
¹ ³ Lease can be ended at any time with 30 day’s notice. A $300 termination fee plus an additional fees may apply for excessive wear and tear.
² Lease price is approximate, actual prices may vary slightly.