What You’ll Do
- Internalize and deeply understand Uber’s mission and strategies
- Own a product roadmap that supports the overall Rider Pricing vision and objectives of the Rider Pricing team and a narrative for how your roadmap aligns with Uber’s mission and strategies.
- Lead the vision, definition, and execution of models and systems that minimize costs, improve network throughput, and respond to real time rider demand and driver supply conditions to generate offers that ultimately translate to marketplace efficiency for Uber and a better experience for riders and driver partners.
- Partner up with data science and engineering to design and implement marketplace experiments that validate new models and pricing algorithms against marketplace metrics.
- Understand the requirements and needs of Uber’s markets to ensure successful global deployment of new systems and models.
- Collaborate with Uber internal stakeholders, including the product operations, finance, legal, policy and global operations teams to ensure that our technology supports Uber’s business objectives and that it can be scaled to meet the demands and constraints of every global market.
What You’ll Need
- A passion to apply technology and data to change how humanity moves
- Minimum 3 years of product management experience
- Strong customer empathy, with an ability to transform complex data and customer insights into a prioritized roadmap
- Experience formulating and driving a principled product vision and owning the narrative around that vision for leadership and stakeholders
- Experience working in a metrics and experimentation driven organization
- Experience partnering with cross-functional teams of engineers, data scientists, and designers to deliver extraordinary products
- Exceptional communication skills, both within your team and with leadership and stakeholders
- Academic background in computer science, data science, statistics, economics, or engineering
About the Team
The Marketplace group builds the platform, products, and algorithms responsible for the real time execution and online optimization of Uber's marketplace. We are building the brain of Uber, solving NP-hard algorithms and economic optimization problems at scale, in real time, making all of the decisions for Uber’s marketplaces based on up-to-the-second data as well as forecasts of the future. And we’re not just talking about designing algorithms - we also build robust production systems to power these algorithms from the ground up.
Our group’s systems control the dynamics of all of Uber’s markets, from our core personal transport business with UberX and UberPool, to Uber’s emerging markets such as UberEATS and UberRUSH. We focus on areas like dynamic pricing (surge pricing, upfront pricing), intelligent dispatching (matching algorithms, dispatch paradigms), and supply positioning (optimal positioning of drivers in anticipation of demand patterns). The goal of these systems is to dramatically lower cost & ETAs for riders, increase revenue for driver partners, improve the overall efficiency and utilization of Uber’s fleet of supply, and enable products in entirely new marketplaces.
Our group is continuously deploying a variety of system configuration and algorithmic changes that affect how we respond to and attempt to balance supply and demand in different markets - any given week could involve deploying a new real time dynamic pricing algorithm, testing a set of new dispatching features, and launching a supply positioning recommendation system to drivers. In addition to all of the changes that the teams in the Marketplace group are constantly making in order to optimize Uber’s marketplace, there are scores of other changes external to our control happening in each city’s markets: rider growth, driver growth, trip growth, cyclical daily/weekly demand patterns, special events, weather, and even Uber promotions like Kittens and Ice Cream.