What You’ll Do
- Design, build, test, and maintain software for novel robotics systems, with opportunities to work across the full stack from sensor selection/integration to perception to localization to path planning to actuation/controls or backend servers. You’ll be part of a small team that will be tasked with quickly understanding the real world challenges of our light electric vehicle fleets, rapidly prototyping and evaluating sensing and robotics solutions to those challenges, and assisting with the integration of validated solutions into our production vehicles for large scale deployment.
- Collaborate with the group’s product manager and engineering manager to translate product vision and customer needs into executable technical requirements and design, decomposing complex problems and long term goals into actionable, discrete steps along the way.
- Play a foundational role in the prototyping and validation of key technologies that are aligned with the constraints of light electric vehicles (e.g. power, weight, and cost), including the evaluation of both internally developed technology and components offered by external vendors that may provide opportunities to accelerate our time to market.
- Assist the team’s engineering manager in recruiting, interviewing, onboarding, and training a team of robotics software engineers that will be needed to establish the core software development capabilities of this team. As the team grows, this role will have opportunities to take on people management responsibilities but the role will not have direct reports on day 1.
- Provide technical guidance, direction, and mentorship to less experienced team members and help them level up their skills and learn best practices for robotic systems development.
What You’ll Need
- Full-stack technical depth in software engineering for robotics / autonomous systems, including technical depth in one or more of the following areas:
- Localization, mapping, perception, path planning, or obstacle avoidance software
- Sensor and compute hardware evaluation and for software integration
- Actuation and control systems
- Demonstrated track record of designing, implementing and integrating software architectures for robotics systems and strong embedded software development experience
- Experience with C++ and Java for Android and Embedded/RealTime Linux across the stack of embedded devices for robotic applications (e.g. onboard imaging sensors to perception and control or backend)Experience working with real-time systems, large-scale and scalable software architectures, large data sets, and robotics frameworks.
- Interest in being a hands-on contributor to the design and construction of new robotics systems - you’ll write code, architect software systems/subsystems, participate in field trials, and assist with production-scale integration.
- Willingness and demonstrated the ability to take on people management responsibilities for a small group of engineers across disciplines as the team grows over time.
- A collaborative approach to product development and willingness to seek input from product, policy, legal, and other non-technical colleagues that will inform the requirements and constraints for the real world, large scale operation of the systems you build.
- 4 years of relevant experience with Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering or related fields
- Bonus points for experience in Java, Android, handling large onboard/offboard data-sets and/or backend server integration.
About the Team
Uber revolutionized urban transportation, but we have no intention to stop there. New Mobility, also known as "NeMo", is a new org with the mandate to build and scale the next set of mobility businesses that will help Uber evolve into a multi-modal platform. The NeMo Robotics team develops systems and features that improve safety, rider experience, and operational efficiency through the integration of robotics technologies into NeMo’s light electric vehicles (bikes, scooters, and more) . As a high-growth "startup org" within Uber, NeMo is fast-paced, constantly evolving, and highly rewarding. If you're eager to bring Uber's vision as a platform to life and are motivated by challenge, read on.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together..