What You’ll Do
- Work with your mentor closely to scope a project, define the problem, and develop and prototype the solution
- Work alongside engineers and product managers to understand the business use cases and production feasibility of your work, and collaborate on the experimentation and productionisation of your work
- Develop creative solutions to product problems using a combination of empirical insights and sophisticated technical methods
- Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams
- Simulate the effects of re-allocating between driver incentive mechanisms
- Investigate how surge pricing interacts with different innovations in how riders are matched with drivers
- Develop new matching algorithms that power our shared rides products.
- Quantify the medium- to long-term impact of changes to pricing and matching on rider and driver partner activity.
- Build machine learning models which predict a customer’s response to promotions.
What You’ll Need
- Ph.D. student (anticipated graduation in 2020) majoring in CS, Economics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines
- Experience in modeling and algorithm development
- Coding proficiency and the ability to develop statistical analysis and prototype algorithms in Python or R
- Proficiency in SQL
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and business stakeholders
About the Team
In Marketplace you’ll be at at the center of Uber’s business, where riders and drivers come together at extraordinary scale. As a data scientist, you’ll combine clear product vision, deep technical skills and powerful data analysis to improve the algorithms that run Uber’s vast worldwide marketplace every minute of the day. We’re looking for you to produce elegant solutions that are practical, effective, and can work at Uber scale.
Our team tackles problems such as optimizing Uber’s short and long term pricing systems; efficiently matching incoming trip requests in Uber’s dispatch system; developing innovative incentive schemes that reward riders and drivers for choosing our network; and providing optimal routes and accurate turn-by-turn navigation to save time for everybody. We also forecast, monitor and evaluate all aspects of our marketplace using both large scale observational data and thoughtful experimentation.
If you are passionate about original ideas, and take pride in seeing those thoughts come to life in a high impact setting, then you’ll be at home in our team where creative exploration and iterative experimentation are at the heart of what we do. As part of Marketplace, you will work side-by-side with Uber's engineering team to scale your ideas across Uber's real-time production systems, and then strive to gain insights from the real world outcomes we measure.