On Thursday, a fire rampaged through the local Alexandra community, destroying more than 500 homes, leaving thousands of people homeless. Many of which are senior citizens and minors. Losing everything they owned from clothing, food to entire homes, the community of Alexandra are left picking up the pieces of what once was.
It is the duty of local South Africans to come together to assist, because in community there is hope. Uber has created a temporary vehicle view called UberCOMMUNITY, that will allow Johannesburg riders to request a car that will collect donations for the people of Alex currently trying to rebuild their lives.
Uber Eats provided meals to local firefighters, who have and continue to work tirelessly to stop the fires from spreading. It is important to recognise the effort and sacrifice these local heros undergo in order to keep citizens safe and out of harm.
Given the great response on Friday and thanks to everyone who assisted, Uber will once again on Monday 10th December, collect all donations and arrange to have them dropped off at the Disaster Management Centre, Sandton Fire Brandweer where they will be sorted, packaged and distributed to those in need.
What to donate:
- General toiletries
- Baby products
- Sanitary pads
- Non-perishable food items
Every donation, regardless of the size, will make a huge difference to those affected.
How to help the people of Alex:
- Open the App on Monday, 10th December, between 10am – 3pm
- Swipe from left to right and select UberCOMMUNITY
- Request a vehicle as usual
- When the driver arrives – please meet him at your pick up point with your donations
- There will be no charge for UberCOMMUNITY; so please get donating and help the people whose lives have been affected by the fires
Please note, for ease of collection, UberCOMMUNITY is collecting from areas closest to Alexandra:
Important To Note:
- The vehicle view is open between 10am – 3pm; leaving the evening for Uber to get all donations to the Disaster Management Centre
- Donations cannot be in cash, only items such as general toiletries, baby products, sanitary pads and non-perishable food items will be accepted
- All donations must be bagged or boxed in order for drivers to accept your donation. If possible, please mark clearly what you are donating
- Please keep in mind that driver-partners can’t leave vehicles unattended, so we ask that you bring your items out to meet your driver when they arrive
- Successful redemption of this offer is subject to the availability of Uber driver-partners. Access to and use of the Uber App will be subject to the standard terms and conditions applicable to all riders who use the platform.
- Riders will not be able to take any rides in any of the UberCOMMUNITY vehicles