Singapore has one of the best public transit systems in the world, and traffic for the most part runs smooth. But buses and trains can’t reach every corner of the island. And few would argue that at peak times things can get a little too crowded for comfort.
That’s why we’re excited to launch our uberPOOL service in Singapore on July 1. uberPOOL enables people going to the same place at the same time to share the journey. It’s all about getting more butts into fewer cars. This means cheaper rides for passengers and less congestion over time.
Here’s how it works.
- Choose the uberPOOL option in the app. Enter your destination and request a ride.
- You’ll see your driver’s details straight away — name, photo and the details of the car. As with uberX, these drivers are have undergone an extensive screening process.
- uberPOOL will then match you with another passenger heading in the same direction:
- That passenger will either be in the car at the start of your trip, in which case you’ll see their name in advance; or
- Your driver will pick them up along the way, in which case Uber will notify you via the app.
- Whether you’re first or second into the car, Uber ensures that you’re never taken more than a few minutes out of your way.
- At the end of your trip, you’ll pay just like a normal Uber trip and receive an electronic receipt.
uberPOOL is a proven model.
- Since we launched in August 2014, over 100 million rides have been taken. uberPOOL makes up 20% of our trips globally today.
- Over 100,000 people are taking pooled trips every week in over 18 cities globally, including New York, Los Angeles, Beijing, Chengdu, and Shanghai.
- And in China, the number of uberPOOL trips has grown to over 30 million per month.
- In the first 3 months of 2016, if Uber riders had driven alone instead of sharing their rides we estimate that over 90 million more miles would have been travelled — consuming 1.8 millions of gallons of gas and emitting 16,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide. That’s the distance from Earth to the Sun.
Cheaper rides for passengers: uberPOOL is more affordable because the cost of the trip is shared. The fare per trip is lesser than uberX, which is typically our cheapest service–whether Uber pairs you up with another passenger or not.
Less congestion on the city streets over time: uberPOOL is a convenient way for people going in the same direction at the same time to share the journey. It’s also another tool to help cities solve congestion and pollution. And because uberPOOL is cheap and easy to use, over time it offers a credible alternative to car ownership. If you can press a button and get an affordable ride across town within minutes at any time of day or night, why bother to own a car at all?
Less time between trips for drivers: uberPOOL means less idle time between paying trips for drivers. It also means more demand overall because as the cost of a trip falls more people use the service– which means more rides for drivers.