The first Uber ride in Romania took place in Bucharest more than 4 years ago, on a chilly day of February. Soon, Romania became one of the fastest growing countries in the region and, thanks to a great response from riders and drivers, the service grew week after week.
Fast forward to today, here’s what we have achieved in these first 4 years:
- over 1 million riders and drivers are now part of the Uber community
- we now serve not one, but 5 Romanian cities: Bucharest, Cluj Napoca, Brasov, Timisoara and Iasi
- Bucharest became the first city in Central and Eastern Europe to have a fully electric ridesharing service. Uber Green has been used by more than 70.000 people by now
- we have launched the food delivery service Uber Eats which helps hundreds of local restaurants grow their business and reach more consumers than ever before
- We have updated our app to increase safety for riders and drivers. Now, we offer one of the safest options to travel across the city and we keep on improving our app because safety never stops.
Of course, things have not always been perfect along the way. We need to continue to work hard to maintain the comfort, quality and safety you told us you appreciate so much at Uber. And you can count on us when it comes to advocating for modern transportation reforms that would allow Romanian consumers to have access to more options, besides just taxi and public transportation.
We are committed to continue to develop our service in Romania and work with the authorities and the other transportation providers to modernize the regulatory framework and to improve the mobility issues we all face in the cities we live in, be it congestion, pollution or lack of parking spaces.
In Romania, as all over the world, Uber aims to become a multimodal platform for urban mobility services, giving riders access to different means of transportation at a touch of a button so they can move around without needing their own car. While we cannot talk about upcoming new services at this moment, on the medium and long term we plan to include other options in the app, such as electric bikes and scooters, public transportation, taxi, rent -a-car or car sharing services.
We thank you for your support and constructive criticism during these four years. We look forward to continuing to serve Romanian cities.