Manila, choice is a beautiful thing! Uber has always had a simple goal: to provide easy access to safe, reliable and convenient transportation options anywhere, anytime for everyone. Since our launch in Manila, Uber has quickly become the preferred choice for hundreds of thousands of commuters. But, there were many who never had the chance because to use Uber meant cashless payments. Well, we’ve heard you Manila, and are thrilled to announce that starting today, Uber will now be more accessible with the introduction of CASH as an alternative payment option.
That’s right – you get all the Uber awesomeness and even more options when it comes to paying for your ride. Simply choose the CASH option, take a ride and pay your driver directly in cash at the end of the trip.
This is an experiment and the cash option will roll out gradually to all riders over the coming weeks. With this, the Philippines becomes the second country in Southeast Asia after Vietnam and only the fifth country worldwide after India, Kenya, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam where Uber has introduced cash payments.
We have worked hard to create a seamless cash payment option that is truly Uber to better serve the community. The Philippines, as the first country with a dedicated national ride-sharing regulatory framework, provides us with the right environment to conduct this cash experiment. The insight we gain from your usage and feedback is what will make this a successful test. So take rides and share your feedback with us at supportManila@uber.com.
If you do not see the cash option then worry not. Not all of you will see cash right away as we will be testing with a select few at first but gradually expanding this option to more and more riders.
Manila, your support since our arrival has been spectacular and we are excited to bring you cash as a payment option on the Uber platform. With products such as uberX and UberBLACK, commuters in Manila already have access to better urban mobility options that are reliable and convenient and cash further expands that universe to even more people. Cash payment has already been successfully launched in 27 cities globally and we are thrilled to roll this out in Metro Manila today.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Open up the app and go to the menu in the top left corner and select Payment tab
- Select ‘CASH’ as your payment option (Note: As this is an experiment, this option is not yet available to all riders)
- Request for a ride
- Confirm your pickup location and payment method
- Before you get out, pay the amount shown in-app, directly to the driver in cash – No haggling required!
- A valid Uber account is needed to be able to book a ride and pay in cash
- This is an experiment and not everyone will see the cash option right away, this will gradually be expanded to more and more people over time
- Please make sure you have enough cash for the trip
- You will not be able to make part payments on cash trips with your credit card and vice versa
- Fare adjustments are not possible for cash rides
- There is no booking fee or additional charge to riders
We hope you will enjoy helping us test out this new payment option. Please do be sure to give us your feedback and let us know #WhyWeUber .
– Team Uber Manila