Safety never stops
We’ve put together some important points to help you and your riders stay safe this summer.
1. Pick up and drop off your riders safely
Roads tend to get busier as the weather heats up. Keep an eye out for road hazards, particularly when dropping off and picking up. If a rider requests a pickup in an unsafe location, find somewhere safe to stop close by, then call your rider to let them know where you are.
2. You’re in the driver’s seat. It is always your choice whether to accept a ride or not
If you don’t feel safe or comfortable with a rider’s request, you have the right not to accept a ride, or to cancel the ride request. Please let us know by reporting the issue via the Help Centre so we can follow up.
3. What if your rider changes the route during their trip?
If your rider decides the trip home wouldn’t be complete without a spontaneous Maccas run, make sure they add it as an additional stop on their app. That way your extra time in the drive-through will be immediately integrated into the trip.
4. What if your rider is intoxicated or unresponsive?
We advise you not to end the trip, but to contact emergency services via the Safety Toolkit in your Driver app, or by calling 000 (Australia) or 111 (New Zealand). Don’t touch or handle the rider unless instructed by emergency services and follow their instructions until they arrive.
5. You can report issues if you feel unsafe
Let us know by reporting the issue via the Help Centre so we can follow up. If you require immediate assistance from emergency services, please use the emergency assistance button in the Driver app, or you can call 000 (Australia) or 111 (New Zealand). Follow the directions of emergency services and we’ll be in touch soon after to make sure you’re ok.
6. Respect your rider’s personal space
Touching or flirting with a rider in the car is not appropriate in any circumstances. Commenting on a rider’s appearance or asking if they’re single can also make them uncomfortable and is not tolerated. You can find out more about respecting your riders and creating a comfortable space in our Community Guidelines.
7. What if your rider makes a mess?
Our support team is here for you 24/7, and we have a process in place to deal with incidents where a rider creates any sort of mess in your car while you’re on-trip. Contact Support via the app by tapping the ‘Help’ icon > ‘Trip issues and adjustments’ > ‘Issue with a rider’ > ‘I want to claim a cleaning fee’.
8. Remember that we partner with law enforcement
As an additional commitment to your safety, we’ve appointed a Law Enforcement Liaison Lead to help strengthen our close working relationship with law enforcement. This means we can leverage our data and technology to support investigations in ways that weren’t possible before rideshare – and help hold anyone who does the wrong thing accountable.
We’re still in this together
We’re continuing our efforts to keep communities safe during COVID-19 by reminding riders of our safety policies before every trip, while still encouraging driver partners to take safety steps before going online:
- Clean all high touch surfaces in your vehicle before and after trips
- Open windows to improve ventilation
- Remind riders to sit in the backseat
- Stay home if you feel unwell
- Consider getting vaccinated
- Display a QR Code if required in your state or territory, and encourage riders to check in
- Wear a face mask or cover, especially if required in your state or territory