What You’ll Do
- Become a cross-functional superhero within the organization, understanding and appropriately representing perspectives from a diverse range of stakeholders and leading groups to resolution.
- Leveraging your knowledge of the current self-driving regulatory landscape, identify opportunities within the organization where new technical solutions can better address existing needs and initiate efforts to build robust solutions to address the needs.
- Think strategically to anticipate future opportunity areas for the business based on current and burgeoning policy and regulatory landscapes in key markets and socialize those areas with Uber ATG leadership to begin to lay the groundwork for future development efforts.
- Move the needle on transparency within the self-driving industry by authoring public facing documents with digestible, technical depth and relevance.
- Serve as a principal point of technical engagement for internal and external policy and regulatory development stakeholders with respect to self-driving vehicles.
- Work collaboratively with Policy teams to engage and inform key stakeholders at the local, state, federal, and international levels. Utilize strategic insight of Uber ATG’s roadmap and development efforts and to prioritize engagement timelines and strategies.
- Work in close partnership with Policy and Regulatory teams to prepare and deliver technical input to key stakeholders through a variety of channels, e.g. in-person briefings, industry working groups, written responses to rule making, standards, and testing considers requests for comment, and permitting application processes.
- Spearhead the generation of comprehensive technical perspectives on key policy topics for self-driving (e.g. privacy, data sharing) by soliciting input from teams across Uber ATG, assessing technical constraints, and authoring white papers to help ground Uber’s positions in technical rigor.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in software engineering, hardware engineering, or a related field
- Minimum three (3) years of successfully delivering solutions within a technology organization; leading collaborative cross-team initiatives is a plus
- Ability to understand and convey significant technical depth around complex hardware and software systems to a broad and diverse audience
- Strong interpersonal communication and partnership skills, as well as success at forming effective working relationships across organizational boundaries
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to independently prioritize work and deliver quality products on tight timelines
- Tenacity and ability to build from scratch
- Grittiness and comfort with ambiguity
- Experience in technology consulting
- Experience in transportation or ridesharing
- Experience in public policy or regulatory development
- Experience with product development and/or product or technical program management
- Experience working for, or with, nonprofit and/or government entities
- Advanced degree(s) in engineering or a related field
About the Team
At the Uber Advanced Technologies Group (Uber ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Boulder, Seattle, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost-effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at Uber ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.