Uber launches the new service UberX in Oslo on November 2nd, offering the reliable and accessible services that people love from the Uber app. The 100% electric vehicle option Uber Green will also be available from launch.
Oslo’s commuters and people who want a safe ride home will now have the option to order the popular ride options UberX and Green via the Uber app. The two new products UberX and Green use different car types, but will all be available through the same app. In addition, consumers can still use the luxury services Uber Black, Uber Lux and UberXXL, which have been in operation in Norway for many years.
A long-awaited return
Oslo has one of the most expensive taxi markets in the world. On average, it also has one of the highest shares of idle cars. Uber wants to discourage private car ownership and help cities to move more easily. Uber has seen demand for rides grow in Oslo, for example via the amount of people that have opened the app in recent months and through conversations with driver partners.
“There is clearly room for innovation in the Norwegian taxi market. We believe we can make Norwegian transportation more efficient and sustainable, reduce congestion, and offer professional drivers new opportunities. Norwegian consumers have been asking for reliable, easier, and more sustainable transportation for years. We are happy to finally be back.” says Peter Löfstrand, Head of Nordics for Uber.
Professional licensed drivers
Uber has been active in Oslo for six years and has operated limousine services Uber Black, UberLux and UberXXL since 2017. All partner drivers, for both the new rides options and existing limousine services are professionals and fully licensed. The new services are fully compliant with the new regulations, which go into effect as of November.
Uber in Norway
- Uber’s services UberX and Green will become available in Oslo on November 2nd. Uber Black, Lux and UberXXL have been available in Norway since 2014.
- Customers can order all ride types, pick a destination, know the price upfront and pay through a single, user-friendly app.
- From driver ratings to GPS tracking, and emergency support – the Uber app offers both passengers and drivers numerous safety functions to track their own trip, share it with contact persons and stay connected with our support.
- Uber Green offers 100% battery electric vehicles, reducing exhaust.
- All drivers are independent taxi companies with a taxi license.
- Uber is following guidelines from the Norwegian government and World Health Organization to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. On top of this we are providing drivers with face masks and sanitation products.
Uber’s mission is to ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We started in 2010 to solve a simple problem: how do you get access to a ride at the touch of a button? More than 15 billion trips later, we’re building products to get people closer to where they want to be. By changing how people, food, and things move through cities, Uber is a platform that opens up the world to new possibilities.
Posted by Isabella Jonsson
Cinnamon: Using Century Old Tech to Build a Mean Load Shedder
PID Controller for Cinnamon
Up: Portable Microservices Ready for the Cloud
Case study: DART goes big in 30 zones