WHAT you’ll be doing:
You will be responsible for leading and growing a world class SRE team. Inspiring and challenging their growth and development. Setting plans and direction not just for the team but with your development partners and business owners to ensure there is clear and transparent focus.
The SRE team has total ownership of Uber’s Secure Storage infrastructure. So as Manager it will be down to you and your team that there are no outrages with our payments system. (No pressure!) You will be responsible for measuring and reporting on reliability, systems capacity, performance and the overall maintainability of systems.
To excel in this role you will demonstrate as track record or leadership as well as a passion for being hands on- we need our managers to be tech savvy! This is not a traditional operational role we want someone who can embed teams, process and tooling.
This role reports into the US however you will be surrounded by a team of 90+ Engineering gurus based here in Amsterdam who make up our unique inclusive and supportive technology community.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team
What You'll Need:
We are looking for an experienced leader who has the ability to own and scale our global Payments SRE environment. From a technical perspective you will have:
- Experience in the Linux environment and a good understanding of its fundamentals and internals: filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, etc.
- A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- We use Docker and DynamoDB and AWS and Terraform to manage infrastructure so exposure to these a plus
Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes we would still be interested in hearing from you!
WHY you’ll want it
This is a truly unique opportunity to take our SRE teams to the next level. Surrounded by industry experts who will challenge and encourage your own personal growth as a leader.
We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally. This is an opportunity to build technology that changes the way the world moves.
To name but a few of the perks:
- Employees receive Uber credits every month.
- Monthly gym reimbursement.
- Stock options.
- Daily catered breakfast and lunch.
- Monthly health insurance reimbursement.
So are you ready for the challenge? Hit apply now!
Want to learn more about the role? Feel free to contact me directly on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.