Just a few years ago, the idea of requesting a ride at the tap of a button seemed impossible, yet today Uber is available in more than 400 cities around the world. From entertainment to healthcare to mobility, rapid innovation in technology is improving our daily lives.
Keeping up with the latest developments in technology means we often gain a growing collection of retired phones, outdated laptops and old gadgets that we don’t know what to do with. In 2014 alone, 41.8 million tons* of electronic items containing toxins harmful to our health and environment were thrown away.
In celebration of Earth Day, we’re teaming up with Tadweeer in Saudi Arabia as part of their Basmatuna initiative, to help you safely get rid of those cell phones, video game systems, and computers you no longer use to keep them out of landfills. All Tadweeer proceeds from recycling used electronics goes to benefit Ensan, the Charity Committee for Orphans Care.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Open or download the Uber app
- Request an ‘UberTADWEEER’ from 11AM – 3PM on April 21st in Riyadh, Jeddah and the Eastern Province
- If an ‘UberTADWEEER’ is available, a partner-driver will head your way to pick up your items
- Your driver will meet you outside to collect your items
- Tadweeer accepts small electronics (mobile phones, CD/DVD players, laptops, tablets, gaming devices, networks devices, MP3 players, etc). Batteries and lightbulbs cannot be accepted.
- Recycling your technology is totally FREE
- Some items may require extra preparation before donation, as Tadweeer is not responsible for data left on any donated equipment. Please remember to remove personal data from hard drives or other storage media before having them picked up by Uber