The freight industry plays a vital role in daily life, and that’s never more apparent than in times like these. Below we have answered questions that carriers and shippers may have as we move through this challenging time.
Will Uber Freight maintain operations?
Yes. We continue our mission to serve carriers and shippers and have no plans to reduce our operations. As needed, we will take action based on guidance from public health organizations.
Will country lock-downs affect Uber Freight operations?
No. Our booking and operating platforms are entirely cloud-based, so all work can be performed remotely. The Uber Freight team is already successfully working from home.
How does Uber Freight determine its coronavirus policies?
Uber has convened a company-wide Steering Committee, is working with public health organizations, and is consulting an epidemiologist to shape company-wide policies in an informed, reasonable, and effective manner. We have also strengthened our work-from-home policies to help flatten the curve of community spread and instituted response protocols to prioritize our employees’ health while continuing operations.
What precautions should carriers and their drivers take?
In addition to COVID-19 guidelines outlined by the World Health Organization, we also emailed the following prevention tips to carriers:
- Remain in the truck as much as possible during pickups and deliveries
- Wear gloves when handling objects touched by multiple people, such as door handles and diesel pumps
- Wash hands thoroughly before touching personal objects, such as a phone or steering wheel
- Check the rate-con and in-app load notes for any shipper-specific guidelines
What testing measures have facilities adopted in response to COVID-19?
Customers have provided Uber Freight with a broad range of instructions for each of their facilities. In turn, Uber Freight has promptly notified carriers of these various protocols, including:
- Changes to check-in
- Bathroom access procedures
- No-touch forehead-based temperature checks
- Increased frequency of common-area cleaning (such as restrooms)
- Enforcement of social distancing requirements (6-foot rule for anyone at the facility)
- Health and travel questionnaires for drivers entering facilities
Where can carriers find out if a load is a relief load?
In the commodity information, visible on each load on the Uber Freight platform, Uber Freight will note any shipper-designated relief loads that are eligible for expedited payment. This information will also be listed in the rate confirmation.
Are fewer carriers working in response to the coronavirus?
At this time, our ability to source capacity remains strong.