Rules and regulations
LGW regulations for Uber partner-drivers
Per LGW regulations, partner-drivers must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in a fine from LGW. If you receive a fine from LGW, Uber will not pay the fine on your behalf.
- All ride dropoffs must occur at the forecourt terminal
- All pickups must occur in the designated pick up areas in the Short Stay Car Parks
- You must park your car before walking to the designated pickup area to meet your rider
Rides to LGW
How drop-offs work
Uber is a smart option for travelers heading to their airport. At LGW, simply drop-off riders at the forecourt of their terminal. We recommend confirming the terminal with your rider beforehand. It's important to keep the app on until you exit airport property.
Pickups at LGW
How pickups work
It's easy to receive trip confirmations from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than othes. To receive a trip confirmation at LGW, you need to enter the dedicated waiting area, where you will be placed in the queue to receive a pickup confirmations from the airport.
Here’s how it works:
- Drive into the dedicated waiting area located on Beehive Ring Road, RH6 0PB
- You’ll be placed in the queue for the next pickup—pickups work on a first-come, first-served basis
- Once you receive a trip request, follow the in-app directions to the Short Stay Car Park and the designated pickup row–there's a £4.00 surcharge at the Short Stay Car Park
- Park your car before walking over to meet your rider at the designated pickup area
Please note that trips starting at Gatwick on uberX and uberXL follow the specific airport rates. For more information about the rates at the airport you can get a fare estimate.
Where to wait at LGW
Uber partners may wait for ride confirmations at the designated car park area only. You will not receive an airport trip outside of this area (and may be issued a fine). The car park is open 24/7. You can enter the waiting area on Beehive Ring Road, RH6 0PB. Keep in mind that:
- The waiting area is "first come, first served"; upon entering, you will be placed in the queue for the next trip
- There is a designated car park for Uber partner-drivers, but if it’s full, please exit and try again later
- If you leave the waiting area or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the queue
- There are toilets facilities on site
- Waiting at terminals or elsewhere on airport property is prohibited and may result in a fine
Designated pickup area at LGW
Uber users at Gatwick who request rides will be instructed to meet you at one of the Express Pick-Up areas, located in the car parks for each terminal.
- Meet your rider at the following locations for each terminal:
- At the North Terminal, Car Park 6, Level 5, Express Pick-Up area by the lifts
- At the South Terminal, Orange Car Park, Level 0, Express Pick-Up area following signs for ‘Drop off’
For more information, read more about Gatwick Airport.
When is it busy?
Time your trips perfectly with the LGW arrivals board. Generally, Uber users are likely to request:
If there is a high number of partner-drivers in the queue we do not recommend waiting for an airport trip.
Riders fees at LGW
London Gatwick Airport charges a £4.00 surcharge to every Driver that exits the Short Stay Car Park after a Rider pick up. This £4.00 surcharge is charged by the Driver to the Rider and is be added to the trip fare automatically, however you will need to pay for this charge in-person at the car park.
In addition, Uber charges each Driver a £3 parking fee [surcharge] for the use of the Gatwick car park. This £3 parking fee [surcharge] is again charged by the Driver to the Rider and is added to the trip fare automatically. Uber retains this parking fee to cover the cost of cleaning and maintaining the Gatwick car parking facilities.
Riders are therefore charged a total additional [surcharge] of £7 by the Driver for each trip from Gatwick Airport.