What You’ll Do
The Uber Eats Pricing Data Science team consists of world-class experts in operations research, econometrics, machine learnings, and statistics. We tackle challenging pricing problems to maximize efficiency and maintain reliability in the three-sided marketplace of Uber Eats. Our algorithms operate globally at a scale of hundreds of thousands of restaurants, millions of delivery partners, tens of millions of eaters, and billions of dollars per year. We are working on targeted user promotions, engagement incentives for delivery partners, surge algorithms to maintain real-time marketplace reliability and much more.
We are looking for an experienced data scientist to act as a technical lead and manager within the pricing team. Optimization, causal inference, and choice modeling are core to the problem space and the successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to apply relevant techniques to drive business impact. Great intuition for consumer products and marketplace dynamics will be critical and management experience is required. There is still a lot to learn about pricing on Eats and we're looking for a true owner who can bring rigor, passion, and creativity to this challenging and fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Need
- Minimum 4 years industry experience in data analytics and quantitative modeling, with significant work experience as a technical contributor.
- Prior management / team-lead experience. You'll be leading several direct reports initially and will have the opportunity to create, scale and nourish a team of experienced professionals.
- Excellent educational background in a quantitative field, such as Operations Research, Economics/Econometrics, or Machine Learning; graduate degree required and PhD degree preferred.
- Self-starter and collaborative leader. Everywhere you go, you can't help but mobilize people, build things, resolve problems, get into the details, go above and beyond, and draw out the best in people. You are a doer and motivator of others.
- Excellent execution and organization. This team will be working with engineers and product leads at the forefront of the development cycle. To excel in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
- Strategic mindset - you're comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now.
- Experience with common analysis tools - SQL, Python, R, etc. Demonstrable familiarity with code and programming concepts.
About the Team
Uber Everything Data Scientists help solve the most challenging problems related to Uber's ambitious and rapidly expanding on-demand delivery businesses such as Uber Eats. These fascinating and difficult problems include personalized search and recommendation for restaurants and dishes, travel and food preparation time prediction, text mining and natural language processing, demand and supply forecasting, growth and spend optimization, dynamic pricing, dispatch and routing optimization, and many more. To solve these problems, data scientists leverage unique data sources diverse in both geographical and temporal dimensions and in both structured (data from app sessions, trips, etc.) and unstructured (menu descriptions, food photos, support contacts, etc.) forms.