What you'll do
We're looking people who are excellent at fundamentals, have great willingness to learn, and have unstoppable desire to follow through with the job.
Our technology stack is primarily Python/GO and while experience with these languages is great, it's not a necessity. World-class engineering is the focus at Uber, not the tools/languages that you already know.
Finance Engineering team models Uber's financials using mathematical, statistical, and computational algorithms. The goal of our team is not only to spur revenue & other financial metrics to financial users, but also to provide a deep insight across Uber for their day-to-day financial activities and decision makings. Our critical areas include: Revenue Computations, Rider and Partner Payments, Profit Modeling and Fraud. The technical challenges come with the volumes we deal with and real-time solutions we provide.
Who you are
- Fast, independent learner: The one constant at Uber is growth, and all of our systems are constantly evolving to meet the needs of our high growth environment. Engineers are expected to learning quickly and continue to improve their craft to ensure that our systems can meet the needs of our business.
- Bold: Our growth requires embracing change with sureness and boldness. We expect our engineers to be proactive about addressing both operational and scalability challenges as we grow.
- Skilled at architecture: The services we build are highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant. Our engineers know the trade offs involved in building high scale architectures. We are committed to making timely decisions to ensure that our systems can continue to match our rider and partner growth.
- Passionate: Engineers at Uber know what it means to truly own their services. Quality, performance, and robustness are expected of all services. Engineers take ownership of the uptime of their services, and they are empowered with the tools to do what is needed to keep them running. Great monitoring, alerting, and test coverage are championed at Uber and we provide engineers with the tools to do so.
- Experienced at Cross Team Communication: We work closely with business groups like Revenue, Accounting and other engineering teams like real time, market place, growth etc. We communicate to address new challenges, work through requirements, and improve our operational efficiency. We also work closely with our Fraud team to identify bad actors in our financial systems and neutralize any threats. Supporting these other groups is a key part of scaling our business.
What you'll need
- At least 7 years of meaningful solo contributor experience as a software engineer
- Prior experience as a tech lead who has mentored/led small teams in building product features at scale
- The ability to go deep, but also appreciate the challenge of going broad. Uber has a huge stack, and we're all over it: backend services, real-time dispatch, machine learning, mobile, web development, data and analytics, infrastructure, marketing systems.
- Advanced knowledge of some and a willingness to learn the rest: Python, node.js, Java etc.
- Intelligence. High adaptability. Ability to learn quickly.
- Knowledge of the principles of accessibility and ability to build products that are accessible to users with disabilities, a plus.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.