Do you want to push the limits of what is possible in terms of applying artificial intelligence techniques on mobile phones? Do you know the pros and cons of running algorithms on a GPU vs DSP vs CPU? How would you even measure which is better? Know how to milk every last ounce of performance using low-level systems like Vulkan and Metal? And, do you know how to it without melting the phone and putting it into thermal shutdown? Want to work with world-class researchers making their algorithms run on mobile devices?
We're looking for people who have the following characteristics:
- Fast learner. We're looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team -- that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree in EE, CS or related disciplines. Masters preferred.
- 3+ years of industry/academic experience
- Expertise with mobile development.
- Expertise with performance optimization on mobile, including profiling
- Expertise working out how to divide work between multiple processors on mobile (CPU vs GPU vs DSP) preferred
- Interest in applying machine learning & computer vision to resource constrained devices (such as mobile phones)
- Interest in Android development (with experience preferred)
- Ability to cooperate closely, jam and brainstorm with engineers, and be able to interact on topics like algorithms.
- Data oriented - i.e. be able to set up experiments to measure things that will in turn drive decisions.
- Ability to move between hacky solutions (when necessary) to quality engineering practices (when necessary).
About the Team
Uber AI is an integrated technology and research organization. The mission of Uber AI is to make AI and machine learning maximally impactful at Uber by pushing the frontiers of research, developing high quality scalable platforms, and collaborating on innovative applications. To further this mission, the group brings together AI-focused engineering, product, and research teams under a single umbrella to ensure cutting-edge AI innovation is rapidly transferred into company-wide platforms, accelerating Uber’s positive impact on the world.
Our team at Uber AI is building Uber’s computer vision platform to democratize the technology at Uber. The team is rapidly growing, and is responsible for developing state of the art computer vision and machine learning solutions to derive inferences from image/video data on our platform that directly drive efficiencies across the company.