The Uber Greenlight Spot at Buffalo, NY is closing permanently. The last full day of operations will be on Friday, September 13th.
Rules and regulations
BUF regulations for Uber partners
Per BUF regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We have instituted a special first-in-first-out (FIFO) system at BUF. The FIFO system only works within the designated area—the Cell Phone Lot on Holtz Drive. Driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app.
- You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the “Info” button in your Uber driver app.
Pickups at BUF
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
At BUF, Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located in the Cell Phone Lot on Holtz Drive. Once you’re in the waiting area, you will be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with BUF, the waiting area is located at the Cell Phone Lot on Holtz Drive. Follow the purple “Free Cell Phone Waiting Area” signs from airport property (see map below).
Important things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel multiple rides (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at BUF is located at the Ridesharing Pickup Lane. Once on airport property, head towards Arriving Flights and follow the green Ride Sharing signs (see map below).
How dropoff requests work
Dropoffs at BUF
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with BUF, riders can be dropped off anywhere on the Departures Level. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterwards, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1) Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
2) Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect Driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
3) Getting your car ready: Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
4) Helping with luggage: It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
5) Identifying your riders: Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
6) Making music optional: While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!