Rules and regulations
RDU regulations for Uber partners
Per RDU operating rules, drivers must adhere to the terms set by RDU below. Failure to follow these rules may result in a citation - you will be solely responsible for handling these citations and paying any associated fines. In certain cases, RDU may permanently restrict your access to the airport.
- You must wait for airport ride requests in the designated Uber staging lot (tap here for directions). To enter the lot, enter UBER (8237) on the keypad.
- When entering and exiting the Uber staging lot, you must allow the gate arm to come down and then enter the code yourself. Any driver that damages a gate will be responsible for the cost of repair/replacement.
- Abide by the terminal and parking lot speed limit of 20 MPH.
- Be respectful and courteous to other drivers and to RDU Authority Personnel.
- When entering the Uber staging lot, stay to the right side of the red line painted on the ground and be sure to park in a marked space. Do not leave your vehicle unattended.
- Any cleaning or maintenance of your vehicle in the staging lot is prohibited.
- Dispose of any trash, cigarettes, etc. in the provided trash cans and ashtrays.
- All drivers and vehicles must vacate the staging lot no later than 30 minutes after the last flight arrives each night.
- RDU asks that you promptly load/unload your rider. Additionally, according to RDU requirements, you should not be curbside for more than one minute.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the “info” button that appears in your app.
Pickups at RDU
How pickup requests work
It's easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests. To receive a trip request at RDU, you need to enter the dedicated staging lot, where you will be placed in line to receive a pickup request from the airport.
Here’s how it works:
- You can only receive requests on airport property at the designated staging lot (click here for directions). To enter the lot, enter UBER (8237) on the keypad.
- To pick up or drop off at RDU, RDU requires you to have an Uber "U" placard on your vehicle. Please place the placard on your windshield in the front bottom-right corner.
- All ride pickups must occur on the Arrivals level at "Prearranged Services" - Zone 1 at Terminal 1 and Zone 17 at Terminal 2.
Rides to RDU
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a smart option for travelers heading to their airport. At RDU, simply drop off riders at their requested terminal on the Departures level. It's important to keep the Uber Driver App on until you exit airport property.
All ride dropoffs must occur near the ticketing offices at Terminal 1 and on the Departures level at Terminal 2.
Where to wait
Uber staging lot at RDU
Uber partners must wait for ride requests in the designated staging lot. You will not receive an airport request outside of this lot (and may be issued a citation).
Click here to navigate to the staging lot located off of Departure Drive. Keep in mind that:
- You can only receive requests on airport property at the designated staging lot
- To enter the staging lot, enter UBER (8237) on the keypad in front of the lot
- The lot is "first in, first out": upon entering the staging line, you will be placed in a virtual queue for the next trip request
- If you leave the staging lot or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the line
- You will not lose your place in line if a rider cancels on you or if you drive around within the staging area
- Staging at terminals or elsewhere on airport property is prohibited and may result in a citation
Designated pickup area at RDU
Uber users at RDU who request rides will be instructed to meet you at "Prearranged Services" - Zone 1 at Terminal 1 and Zone 17 at Terminal 2. This designated pickup area is shown in the graphic at right.
All ride pickups must occur on the Arrivals level at "Prearranged Services" - Zone 1 at Terminal 1 and Zone 17 at Terminal 2
You keep airports running smoothly
In order to have a great Uber experience at airports for both riders and drivers, we need your help. Please follow any airport rules and regulations.
Additionally, if you’re picking up riders at the airport, please be available to complete all ride requests you accept. Please do not ask riders for their destination and then cancel. This causes problems for riders trying to get home, and drivers waiting for their next trip. It’s your choice to pick up riders at the airport.
Please note: Drivers who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service for riders or drivers, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to provide transportation to or from airports.