Beginning January 1, 2019: TLC Driver License applicants must take the TLC Driver License exam at a PSI location. TLC Driver License Applicants should receive an email from PSI Services after completing the TLC Driver Education course. The email will provide instructions on how to make an appointment to take the TLC Driver License Exam. For more information, please visit www.nyc.gov/tlcdrivereducation
Requirements differ by state
Here's how to upgrade your license
- Request a certified abstract from a New Jersey DMV
- Send copies of your New Jersey license and certified abstract to the TLC
- Request a certified abstract from a Pennsylvania DMV
- Send copies of your Pennsylvania DMV license and certified abstract to the TLC
Other states or countries
- Request a certified abstract from your state or country’s DMV (or equivalent)
- Visit a New York DMV and switch to a Class E license
- Send copies of your Class E license and certified abstract to the TLC
Have your upgraded license?
Upload your updated license to the TLC's website
You can submit your license to the TLC through their online TLC Upload Portal. Please have the following information ready before you begin:
- Your current TLC issued application number
- The zip code of your mailing address
- The last 5 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN)
Get a certified abstract
Out of state license?
If you have a license that is not from New York state, you'll need to request a certified abstract. This includes your driving history and will need to be provided when submitting your upgraded license to the TLC.