Change to Pickup Location 10/29/2019 - Moving to LAX-it: Starting October 29, all pickups (except for Uber Black and Black SUV) will occur at LAX-it, located east of Terminal 1, accessible via Sky Way. Once the change takes place, the airport will prohibit TNC pickups at the current departures curbside pickup location.
Dropoffs will still take place at departures curbside.
Beginning November 6, 2019 Century Blvd between Sepulveda and Sky Way ("Little Century") will not be accessible to Uber drivers en route to the LAX-it entrance. Please access LAX-it on Sky Way via Vicksburg Ave or through the route provided upon Re-Match
Rules and regulations
Airport regulations for Uber driver-partners
Per airport regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Please keep these in mind to ensure a smooth experience and avoid potential fines of up to $1,200.
- All driver-partners must pass the LAX quiz in order to get an LAX permit
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. The unique airport placard must be displayed beneath the front trade dress. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub. Additional requirements, if any, for obtaining this placard will be detailed below
- To receive trip requests to pick up riders at LAX, driver-partners must be inside the Designated TNC Airport Assignment Area. You may wait in queue at the Staging Lot off 6100 Westchester Pkwy. The Airport Assignment Area operates on a first-in, first-out basis. You may not drive around the central terminal area or wait anywhere else in the neighborhood. TNC vehicles should not wait on the commercial side of the Staging Lot
- When on airport property, the Uber Driver app must be open at all times (please do not sign out until you exit the airport)
- You may be asked by Airport personnel to show your waybill. To access it, tap the 'INFO' button that appears in your app
- Please keep the blue-striped ADA access zones clear unless picking up or dropping off a rider with a disability
- Penalties are a minimum of $200 per violation and citations can be issued by on-site Airport personnel and/or if the violation is caught on camera
- Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff
Starting October 29, 2019 — LAX-it
- Starting on October 29, 2019, all pickups will occur at LAX-it, located east of Terminal 1, accessible via Sky Way. Picking up at any other location could subject you to Airport fines. Dropoffs will still take place at the Departures level curbside
- Follow signs and in-app navigation to the Airport-designated Uber pickup point at LAX-it, located on the three curbs furthest to the left as you enter the lot (curbs 2, 3, and 4). The Airport does not allow you to stop in a traffic lane
- LAX requires that you do not loiter or stage at LAX-it or in the terminal, riders must be picked up immediately. Circling LAX-it and/or the terminal is also prohibited by the Airport
- LAX does not allow waiting at the departures level curb for pickups; the curb should only be used for active unloading
Learn more with videos on driving at LAX
- English: Part 1, Part 2
- Spanish: Part 1, Part 2
- Chinese: Part 1, Part 2
- Korean: Part 1, Part 2
- Tagalog: Part 1, Part 2
Background check requirements
The airport requires that driver-partners meet certain background check requirements that are in addition to those required by the state. Failure to meet these requirements can lead to a driver-partner being blocked from taking trips to and from the airport. See below for more info on the airport’s requirements:
The airport does not allow drivers with the following convictions in the past 7 years:
- Driving under the influence
- A crime of involving property damage and/or theft
- Acts of violence
The airport does not allow drivers with convictions for:
- Reckless driving
- Sexual offenses
- Use of a motor vehicle to commit a felony
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, hit and run
- Driving with a suspended or revoked license
- Acts of terror
For more information on how this can affect you, please reach out to support or your local Greenlight Hub.
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
It's easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Here’s how it works:
- Drive into the Airport Assignment Area. If you would like to park and wait, use the Staging Lot located off 6100 Westchester Pkwy. TNC vehicles should wait here and not in any other private property in the area
- You’ll be placed in line (“the driver queue zone”) for the next pickup
Starting October 29, 2019
- Once you receive a request, accept it and pick up your rider at the designated pickup location in LAX-it
- Follow signage and in-app navigation to find the appropriate pickup curb within LAX-it. All pickups will take place on the three curbs furthest to the left as you enter the lot (curbs 2, 3, and 4)
- Starting on October 29, 2019, the airport will prohibit rideshare pickups at the current departures curbside pickup location. Riders will be routed from the terminal to LAX-it via an airport shuttle
Some things to know about the driver queue zone:
- Driving closer to the terminal does not affect your place in line—proximity does not give you an advantage
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber Driver app
- You drive outside the Airport Assignment Area
Picking up your rider
Picking up your rider starting October 29, 2019
UberX — PIN - a new pickup feature - is launching for UberX at LAX. PIN is designed to streamline airport pickups.
Once you reach the top of the driver queue, you will receive an alert to head to the new LAX-it lot. Upon arriving, follow in-app navigation, traffic control, and signage for the appropriate Uber PIN lane on curb 3 or 4. Once there:
- Join the queue lane and keep pulling forward until a rider is directed to your vehicle
- Before entering your vehicle, the rider will provide you with a unique 6-digit PIN code; swipe up and tap Enter rider PIN on the bottom of your Driver app and input the code
- Once the PIN is confirmed, the rider may enter your vehicle and you can start your trip
This PIN pilot will be in effect between the hours of 8am to midnight daily. At all other times, please follow the standard pickup process at LAX-it.
- It’s important that the 6-digit PIN code is confirmed before the rider(s) enter your vehicle
- In order to unlock access to the PIN feature, you’ll need the latest version of the Uber Driver app, so we recommend updating your app
- In order to qualify for a ride, you’ll still be required to enter the airport’s assignment area first, unless you’ve received a Re-Match request after completing a drop off at the airport
- At this time, the PIN feature is exclusive to UberX trip requests
Comfort, XL, Select pickups —
- Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at LAX-it is located in Zone 2D, at the beginning of curb 2 as you enter the lot
UberPOOL pickups —
- UberPOOL trips will pick up in Zone 2D, at the beginning of curb 2 as you enter the lot
Uber Black and Uber Black SUV pickups —
- Effective 10/29/2019, LAX is requiring that Uber Black and Black SUV pickups occur at the outer island curb on the arrivals level. Once the change takes place, the airport will prohibit vehicles from picking up at the inner curbside pickup location. As a TCP driver, you will only receive LUX, Black and Black SUV trip requests starting Oct 29
Pro tip: If you’d like, you can save time by calling or texting your rider to make sure they’re ready to go at LAX-it. However, UberX pickups will not be able to contact their riders before pickup while on PIN dispatch.
Dropoffs at the airport
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to their airport. At the airport, simply drop off riders at their requested terminal on the departures level. It's important to keep the Uber Driver app on until you exit airport property. Please note that loading and unloading are permitted only at white curb areas. Stopping at red curbs is not permitted and may result in a citation.
If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber Driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Re-Match at LAX
Re-Match means you can drop off at the airport, and pick up without having to return to the Airport Assignment Area, so you spend less time waiting and more time earning. This feature is only available for a 3-minute window after completing a dropoff at the airport, and will help reduce traffic and your idle time.
Proceed directly to the LAX-it lot from the terminal area when you receive a Re-Match. You’ll access LAX-it through Sky Way heading north. To get there from the terminal area, stay in the left-most lanes passed Terminal 7 and follow signs for “Airport Return” and “Arriving Flights” down the ramp to the ground level. At the bottom of the ramp to the ground level, follow the sign for “Airport Return / 96th Street” to the right. Continue on that road until you are on Sky Way headed towards LAX-it.
Step-by-step pickups at the airport
Rider requests from LAX will only happen in the Designated TNC Airport Assignment Area. Unless you get a Re-Match, you will not receive an airport request outside of this area (and may be issued a citation) if you're seen waiting on airport property.
There is a Staging Lot located off 6100 Westchester Pkwy for you to park and wait, except nightly from 2am - 5am. This entrance only allows right turns from Westchester Pkwy.
There a few things to keep in mind while waiting for requests:
- The Airport Assignment Area is "first in, first out"; upon entering the staging line, you will be placed in line for the next trip request
- The Airport Assignment Area has a 30-minute time limit
- If you do not receive a trip request in 30 minutes, exit the Airport Assignment Area and re-enter
- If you leave the Airport Assignment Area or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the line
- Make sure you exit the Staging Lot by 2am each night. Unattended vehicles may be cited or towed
- While the Staging Lot is closed nightly from 2am - 5am, you are still eligible for LAX pickup requests while you are in the Airport Assignment Area at all times
Starting October 29, 2019
- Once you accept a request you'll head to LAX-it to meet your rider. Follow signs in LAX-it and in-app navigation lot for the appropriate Uber pickup point, located on the three curbs furthest to the left as you enter the lot (curbs 2, 3, and 4). UberPOOL pickups will take place at the furthest point on curb 1 in LAX-it (the furthest curb to the right)
How uberPOOL works at LAX
Get two airport trips when you go to LAX. With pickups just around the corner, you’ll earn money and save a bit of time and gas.
Connecting with your riders
Starting October 29, 2019 - UberPOOL pickups will take place in Zone 2D, at the beginning of curb 2 as you enter the lot
Note: Circling LAX-it or the terminal is prohibited by LAX.
The new LAX placard
LAX has begun issuing new LAX placards to Uber driver-partners who are eligible for pickups and dropoffs at the airport. Once you get your new LAX placard, you can verify it through the Uber Driver app:
- Go to the Account tab
- Tap ‘DOCUMENTS’
- Take a photo of your placard
- Upload the photo
As of April 30, 2018, all placards must be verified to continue taking trips at LAX. If you have an old LAX placard, you can destroy it once you receive and verify your new one.