ONT regulations for driver-partners
Per ONT regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the receipt of a citation or even restriction of access to airport trips. Please note that Uber will not pay for any citations that driver-partners may incur.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area)
- We’ve instituted a special first vehicle in is the first one out (FIFO) system at Ontario International Airport. The FIFO system only works within the designated, geofenced area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app unless there are no drivers in the geofenced queue.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- Loitering, circling or staging at the terminal are not allowed at ONT. Riders must be picked up immediately.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app.
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff.
- Accessing your waybill: You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the “info” button that appears in your app.
Pickups at ONT
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
At ONT, Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
Based on the operating agreement with ONT, the waiting area is located at the Cell Phone Lot located on Moore Way, before Terminal 2 (see map below). The lot has a 30-minute time limit. If you do not receive a trip request within 30 minutes, exit the lot and re-enter.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue.
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors.
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at ONT is located at the designated pickup areas outside Terminals 2, 4, and the International Terminal (see map below).
Dropoffs at ONT
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with ONT, riders can be dropped off in front of the airport terminal where curbside signs indicate you may safely drop off riders. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterwards, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
Step by step pickups at ONT
Driver-partners may wait for trip requests at the Cell Phone Lot located on Moore Way, before Terminal 2. Waiting for trip requests within airport property is not allowed and could result in a citation.
Once you're in the Cell Phone Lot there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The lot is "first in, first out"; upon entering the staging line, you will be placed in line for the next trip request.
- The Cell Phone Lot has a 30-minute time limit.
- If you do not receive a trip request within 30 minutes, exit the lot and re-enter.
- If you leave the Cell Phone Lot or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the line.
- Once you accept a trip request, meet your rider at the designated pickup areas outside Terminals 2, 4, and the International Terminal.
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready
Air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage
It may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders
Asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule
Checking the arrivals schedule at Ontario International Airport can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest. See ONT ARRIVALS SCHEDULE.
5. Making music optional
While tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!