Daniel K Inouye International Airport (HNL) in Honolulu
Instructions for drivers
Riders can request Uber to arrive or depart Daniel K Inouye International Airport (HNL), formerly known as Honolulu International Airport. Learn how to have a smooth experience when picking up and dropping off.
Rules and regulations
HNL regulations for Uber driver-partners
Before picking up or dropping off at HNL, these are the airport rules and regulations you should know.
- The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the rear driver window facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub or printing a temporary one below
- To get trip requests at HNL, head to the Staging Lot at 435 Kalewa St, accessible from Lagoon Dr. The lot operates on a first-in, first-out basis
- You may not loiter within airport property waiting for a trip request. Head to the Staging Lot to get in line
- After accepting a ride request, the Uber Driver app must remain on at all times (please do not sign out until you exit the airport)
- You may not loiter or stage at the terminal and riders must be picked up immediately. Circling the terminal is also prohibited
- You may be asked to show your waybill. To access it, tap the "info" button that appears in your app
- Please restrict all pickups to the Uber designated pickup spots and observe all posted signs to avoid citations. You are responsible for any citations you may receive
Regulations in Honolulu County require all Uber Honolulu driver-partners to maintain the following during all Uber trips:
- Valid state of Hawaii driver’s license
- Valid vehicle insurance, registration, and state of Hawaii safety check
- Uber trade dress on your rear driver-side windshield (you can print a temporary trade dress here)
- Hands-free phone mount
- Driver and vehicle certificate (in Driver app, after logging in, tap "Account" on bottom right corner, then tap "Go Online"—this screen is your certificate)
Pickups at HNL
How pickup requests work
It's easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport; however, these trips work a little differently. To receive a trip request at HNL, head to the dedicated Staging Lot at 435 Kalewa St, accessible from Lagoon Dr. You will be placed in line to receive a pickup request from the airport on a first-in, first-out basis. Once you receive a request, meet your rider at one of two Uber Pickup Zones:
- For Terminal 1 pickups, you can pick up riders on the departures level at the second median across from Lobby 2
- For Terminal 2 pickups, meet your riders on the departures level at the second median across from Lobby 8
Pickups are only permitted at the curbs labeled "Uber."
Tips for your pickups:
- Save time by calling or texting your rider to make sure they’re ready to go at an Uber Pickup Zone
- Avoid congestion by clearing out your trunk before heading to HNL. Riders may be instructed to request another option like uberXL if they have more than one checked bag per person
Rides to HNL
How dropoff requests work
Uber is a smart option for travelers heading to their airport. When dropping off riders at HNL, you may safely drop off riders curbside anywhere on the departures level. It's important to stay signed into the Uber Driver app until you exit airport property.
Step-by-step pickups at HNL
Driver-partners must wait for trip requests at the dedicated Staging Lot at 435 Kalewa St, accessible from Lagoon Dr. Waiting for trip requests at airport terminals is not allowed and could result in a citation. You are responsible for any citations you may receive.
Once you're in the staging lot there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The lot is "first in, first out;" upon entering the Staging Lot, you will be placed in line for the next trip request
- If you leave the Staging Lot or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the line
- Once you accept a trip request, meet your rider at the designated Uber Pickup Zones on the departures level (Terminal 1 or Terminal 2)