Skip to main content

Tell us your location

Not in Washington D.C.? Please enter your location to help us display the correct information for your area.

Taxes and licenses

What you need to drive


If you are partnering with Uber, there are a few licenses you should have to earn fares with your vehicle. If you haven’t already, you should register for a business license* here. Once you have a business license, you need to register to pay the General Excise Tax. You can get the full details on how to get a General Excise Tax license here.

When you register for a business license you will use your own name or business as the tax payer's name, NOT Uber.


We will send you a 1099 annually. Staying up to date on your taxes early can help you plan better financially. You’re responsible for paying Income Tax and the General Excise Tax on your earnings. Many driver-partners have found that seeking tax advice can be helpful.

Other Resources

Want a little help with establishing your licenses? You can go to Hawaii Business Express to register your business and obtain licenses, and even “Live Chat” a representative who can help. You can also visit or call a Business Action Center. They can help you establish your small business.


Ready to make money? Sign up and start driving

Sign up now