Airport regulations for driver-partners
Per DTW airport regulations, driver-partners must adhere to the terms below. Failure to do so may result in the restriction of access to airport trips.
- Pickups must occur in the Ground Transportation Center at the Reserved/Pre-Arranged Transportation & Permit Parking Lot. Look for “Rideshare” signs as you approach the terminals to verify you are in the right place.
- All driver-partners must check in at the booth in the Ground Transportation Center before pickup and show airport personnel the electronic waybill. For details on accessing the waybill, tap here.
- Airport property and personnel must be respected when at the airport.
- When on airport property, the Uber driver app must be open at all times (driver-partners must not go Offline until exiting the airport area).
- There is a designated driver queue zone at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. The driver queue zone is only active in the designated area and driver-partners waiting elsewhere will not receive trip requests through the Uber driver app. *The Uber vehicle decal (trade dress) must always be displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward. Driver-partners can obtain this Uber decal at their local Greenlight Hub.
- DTW expects Uber driver-partners to maintain the cleanliness of its on-property restrooms, if used. Please dispose of all trash in the receptacles provided.
- Driver cancellations: Trip cancellations can take away from the great Uber experience that both riders and driver-partners expect. Please remember that driver-partners who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to receive trip requests to and from the airport through the Uber Driver app
- Ground transportation and airport security staff: Airport rules are as important as traffic rules. Airports expect driver-partners to follow the instructions of the airport staff
- Consider contacting your rider to confirm they will meet you in the Ground Transportation Center and have followed signs to the Rideshare pickup
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
It is easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the Detroit airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests.
Waiting for requests
Uber’s technology uses a first-in-first-out (FIFO) queue. This means that, in order to receive a trip request, you need to enter the designated waiting area, located within a “FIFO zone”. You will then be placed in a virtual queue where the first driver-partner to enter will be the first to receive a trip request.
The FIFO Zone at DTW is located on DTW Airport property and is marked "Rideshare Hold Lot." The lot can be accessed via Goddard Rd and 94 Service Dr (see map below in the section titled Airport waiting lot maps). DO NOT wait in the Ground Transportation Center for pickups.
Some things to know about FIFO queues:
- Proximity to the terminal within the FIFO zone does not create an advantage for driver-partners or move you closer to the top of the queue
- If there are no driver-partners in the FIFO zone, trip requests will go to Uber driver-partners in the area - outside of the FIFO zone - based on proximity and other factors
- You can lose your place in line if:
- You go offline on your Uber driver app
- You drive outside the FIFO zone
- You do not accept multiple incoming trip requests in a row
- You cancel a ride (if the rider cancels, you will remain at the top of the queue)
Picking up your rider
Once you accept a trip request, the pickup location at the airport is located inside the Ground Transportation Center (see map below).
- Follow signs for Commercial / Rideshare Vehicles
- Stop at the check-in attendant and display your Waybill (in-app)
- Follow directions of the parking staff; pull into a parking space before allowing a rider to enter your vehicle
- Do NOT pick up inside Arrivals
- Always remain in your vehicle when in the Ground Transportation Center
How dropoff requests work
Dropoffs at the airport
Uber is a reliable option for travelers heading to the airport.
Based on the operating agreement with the airport, riders can be dropped off at Departures. If you’d like to receive a trip request afterward, you’ll need to keep the Uber driver app on to maintain your place in the FIFO queue.
DTW pickup maps
Helpful tips for airport trips
1. Getting your car ready: air travelers can have lots of luggage with them, so you may need to free up trunk space to fit it all in.
2. Helping with luggage: it may take some time for riders to load their luggage into your vehicle. The airport is a busy place, so an extra set of hands can speed things up and help get your riders to their destination faster.
3. Identifying your riders: asking your riders for their names before starting a trip can ensure that you’ve picked up the right person out of the crowd.
4. Checking the arrivals schedule: checking the arrivals schedule at DTW can help you maximize your earnings with information about when flights will be landing at the airport and when it will be busiest.
5. Making music optional: while tunes are nice to cruise to, riders may prefer silence after an early morning or late night flight. Asking them what they prefer can go a long way and help provide a great experience!