- Driver Guide
- Vehicle requirements
Does your vehicle qualify to drive with Uber? Most four-door cars do, but requirements vary by vehicle option. And if you don't have a car, we can help you get one.
- 15-year-old vehicle or newer
- 4-door vehicle
- Good condition with no cosmetic damage
- No commercial branding
- Pass a vehicle inspection
Some cosmetic features may prevent vehicles from qualifying. These include:
- Full-body wraps containing advertisements, or any large ads
- Holes in exterior
- Taxi decals or taxi-style paint
- Significant damage to interior (torn seats, large permanent stains, strong permanent odors)
- Paint Oxidation
- Different colored hoods/doors
- Aftermarket modifications
All partners must maintain their own insurance policy in accordance with state and local laws. In addition, Uber maintains automobile liability insurance on behalf of all U.S. partners.
Vehicle options in Bakersfield
Most newer cars qualify to drive with uberX, the most popular vehicle option for riders.
Please note that subcompact vehicles may not be eligible for all incentives.*
- 4-door vehicle with independently opening passenger doors
- Have 5 factory-installed seats and seat belts
- Working windows and air conditioning
- No vans, box trucks, or similar vehicles
- No taxi cabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- No aftermarket seating modifications, such as installed seats, seat belts, or BedRyder systems
- Vehicle must be registered and insured in the state of California
Comfort was designed to maximize possibilities on the Uber platform.
- Maintain eligibility on a different Uber option such as UberX, Select, UberXL, Uber Black, or Uber Black SUV
- Have a minimum star rating of 4.85 based on at least 250 trips
- Drive a vehicle with more legroom than smaller, compact cars eligible for UberX and that meet the minimum vehicle year requirement
Uber vehicle decals
Under local regulations for Bakersfield, California, all partners must display an Uber decal on their vehicle while online. Place them on your front passenger windshield and rear passenger windshield facing outward. You can remove the decals when you decide to go offline and save them for the next time. Pro Tip: keep the paper they come with to place your sticker on when not in use.
Once you become an Uber partner, we will mail you a decal. You should receive it within 7 business days. If you ever need a new decal after you become a partner, you can request a new one be mailed to you.
Need a temporary decal? Print one at home here.
*Drivers signing up with a subcompact vehicle may not be eligible for all incentives or promotions. This does not affect drivers’ eligibility for referral rewards or guaranteed signup earnings. Ineligible models include the BMW i3, Chevrolet Aveo, Chevrolet Aveo5, Chevrolet Sonic, Chevrolet Spark, Chevrolet Metro, Fiat 500, Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit, Honda Insight, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Mazda2, Mini Cooper, Mitsubishi Mirage, Mitsubishi Mirage G4, Nissan Versa, Nissan Versa Note, Pontiac G3, Toyota Prius C, Toyota Yaris, and Toyota Yaris iA.