Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it’s heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We are making cities smarter, safer, and more connected. And we are doing it at a global scale - energizing local economies and bringing opportunities to millions of people around the world. Our positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
At Uber, we pride ourselves on the amazing team we’ve built. The driver behind all of our growth, our bold and disruptive brand, and the game changing technology we bring to market is the people, who also make Uber an extraordinary place to work. Delivering a first class, on-demand transportation experience has created new competition in cities around the world that have not seen significant competition or innovation in decades. We are in over 500 cities worldwide, including 11 countries in the MENA region. That’s why we are looking for an experienced Counsel with a strong generalist background to support and help the business in Egypt.
This is a once-in-a-career opportunity to join a global legal team integral to a preeminent technology company engaged in cutting edge technology, and focused on solving some of the biggest challenges in the world. You will report to the Senior Counsel for Egypt, and be based in Cairo, Egypt.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Be a trusted advisor to the business, and provide critical legal and strategic input on a wide range of complex and strategic business issues.
- Work closely with regional and global commercial and legal team members on legal and regulatory aspects of the business as well as broader commercial issues. Areas of particular relevance include, commercial contracts, consumer issues, regulation, and new market entry. So, that’s pretty much everything!
- Partner closely with the business teams to ensure strategic alignment and the successful execution of important regional initiatives. Evaluate general communications, press releases, often on deadlines in response to recent events, to ensure factual accuracy and compliance with applicable laws.
- Provide strategic and proactive legal advice to internal stakeholders, and effectively manage outside counsel to achieve objectives in Egypt.
WHO YOU ARE
- 6+ years of legal experience. The ideal background includes a combination of private practice and in-house experience with a large technology or consumer facing company.
- Highly motivated, creative, entrepreneurial, and laser-focused on the details; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, while collaborating as a team to stay in sync and working independently to get the job done.
- Strong academic credentials and a law degree from a top law school.
- Fluent in written and spoken Arabic and English, and a crisp writing style.
- Excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills (outgoing, down-to-earth, and with a good sense of humor).
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in high impact and high profile situations.
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Uber.
- Employees are given Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to help shape the strategic direction of the company in a very important region, and change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you’ve helped build. We are not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets, and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp and motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.