What You’ll Do
- Carry the Uber ATG culture as an extension of the ATG Chief Scientist and ATG R&D leadership team.
- Manage team meetings, including planning, agenda, notes and execution of action items. Distill discussions and thoughts into strategic plans.
- Drive execution of action items agreed upon by ATG Chief Scientist and her direct staff and broader team.
- Develop and execute impactful external engagement strategy.
- Interface to internal and external partners, as needed, on behalf of ATG Chief Scientist.
- Drive operational and planning processes to completion in partnership with broader ATG organization.
- Create materials for internal and external presentations.
What You'll Need
- Proven ability to work seamlessly with a variety of personalities and functional disciplines.
- Exceptional and demonstrated business and product judgment. In spite of this role being administrative in nature, the CoS needs to have strong independent product and business judgment, i.e. be “right a lot” when it comes to making calls in these domains. Without this, much of the administrative side will become a garbage-in-garbage-out scenario.
- Deep technical knowledge. Given the highly technical nature of the work done at the ATG, the CoS needs to be very technically savvy.
- Strong operator. We need a leader who is great at creating structure, organization and (lightweight) process and getting everyone aligned within them. Strong prioritization skill and discipline is critical.
- Exhibits optimistic leadership and resilience. The CoS must look around at the sea of execution challenges and see them as a great puzzle to be solved. We should never hear this person complain or commiserate or talk about how everything is “broken;” rather, he/she must seek out problems and solve them, continually striving to make Uber better, stronger, faster. He/she must also be naturally enthusiastic to the point that they infect others, which ups everyone’s game. Must have a bias for action and accountability.
- Customer Obsessed. This person must be motivated by doing the right thing for our customers, externally and internally. She/he must establish and operate from first principles rather than being an order taker. This is a part of the judgment required to succeed in this role, and it also means this person will innovate in the domain of making Uber work better. He/she will not only “take the hills,” with respect to the inner workings of Uber, but also identify the hills to take, i.e. be proactive in identifying opportunities to improve the way we work, prioritize appropriately and jump in without prodding.
- Highly detail-oriented, i.e. she/he owns the details. This role requires an unusual degree of attention to detail. From the precise specification of a process to getting the wording just right in a document to articulating a team value, where some might get away with operating at a higher level, this person needs to go all the way down “to the metal” to truly finish things in a way that sticks. This person must crave getting his/her hands dirty, be quick to create a deck, doc or spreadsheet and be obsessive and quick about completing it thoroughly in a high-quality way, and then making sure it’s 100% correct.
- Academically, given that we wish to graduate Chiefs of Staff into other roles, we apply the same criteria: candidates should have an undergraduate computer science or equivalent degree from a top institution. Advanced technical degrees are not required, but can make a candidate more interesting. An MBA is not required.
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it’s not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
We are a group of diverse researchers, engineers, and computer scientists working to develop perception algorithms for self-driving vehicles. Reliability and scalability are key drivers for us as our software must perform across a large fleet of vehicles in large and diverse operating areas.