What You’ll Do
- Manage and lead a team of frontend and backend engineers building microservices, and full stack web products.
- In partnership with Product Management, internalize, own, and provide creative vision for the product roadmap.
- Develop a bold technical strategy that provide consistent and timely value to customers, and build scalable and maintainable systems for the long run.
- Have the technical acumen and knowledge to provide meaningful input to architecture, and jump into implementation at time of need.
- Drive continual improvement in team effectiveness through evolving processes and mentoring engineers.
- Be a humble mentor with deep care of engineers and their career development, yet not shying away from tough conversations.
- Build a team culture of obsessive collaboration, pragmatic execution, and continual learning.
What You'll Need
- Management experience: You have 5+ years of management experience in software engineering where you have demonstrated capability to successfully recruit, retain and grow top talent engineers
- Engineering excellence. You have 5+ years of hands-on engineering experience in a variety of contexts, during which you've built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems, and full stack products.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way -- and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code craftsman skills, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion and energy. You feel ownership over everything you ship. You bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Hiring prowess. You're a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Team player mindset. You foster a culture of collaboration and support. You help teams grow by relying on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement. You inspire and mentor others on the team so that those around you can also learn and grow.
What You’ll Need
- 5 Minimum Years of Experience with Software Engineering Management
About the Team
As the company embarks on the new mission of “ignite opportunities by setting the world in motion”, the Insurance Engineering team plays a key role in ensuring millions of our driver partners with confidence and care that they, their family and livelihood are protected with Uber.
Uber spends large amount of money on ride sharing Insurance which can be optimized significantly and directly contributes to the company’s bottom line. Help us build the software systems that will make this happen. The team is in its early stages, so you can build team and shape products from inception to adoption and further iterations.
Insurance Engineering team’s goal is to bring necessary, fairly priced products and magical claims experience to our drivers and riders globally using cutting edge technologies. We build applications to give partners and riders peace of mind and help recover from unexpected. We build scalable systems for our operations team and biggest partner insurers to streamline and integrate incident lifecycle management. We also build strong platform that not only supports today’s needs, but also enables future growth of providing protection of all modalities in the new “gig-economy”.
We believe that leveraging technology, Uber data and incredible talent, what this team builds would differentiate Uber from others competition, and make a huge and meaningful impact for the company.