What You'll Do
- Provide technical leadership in architecturing, designing, implementing, testing and rolling out our next generations of insurance and protection platform and applications.
- Collaborate with others, including talented team members within your group, technologists in other functions like data science and machine learning, business partners, Ops leaders across Uber. Build up strong relationships with people in the organization, meaningfully collaborating and building trust.
- See the big picture and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies or opportunities for meaningful improvements. Create tech roadmap, and drive alignment on how to tackle these and deliver high leverage solutions on these at the group and organization level.
- Be a role model on acting with good judgement and responsibility. Engineers across the organization will look to you on how best to plan and execute on projects.
- Up the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing and monitoring.
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward.
What You'll Need
- Industry Experience. You have 10+ years of relevant engineering experience. You have a bachelor's degree or higher in computer science or equivalent field.
- Ability to be a technology leader. You thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You have a strong track record of building scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant distributed systems. You have foresight in identifying and preventing serious technical traps. You are expert in at least one language (e.g. Go, Java, Python, C++, etc), and variety of datastores (e.g. Cassandra, DynamoDB, Redis, etc). You stay up-to-date with latest architectural trends. You thrive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Product sense. You create more than beautiful code. Engineers at Uber play a crucial role in choosing what we build and how we build it.
- Versatility. You understand how all the pieces fit together, how they impact the performance of your application, and how they make impact to our customers. You’re willing to step out of your comfort zone, learn new technology to help the team moving forward.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you are passionate about driving continual improvement initiatives on engineering best practices like coding, testing, documentation and monitoring.
- Team player mindset. You help teams grow by relying on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement. You inspire and mentor others on the team so that others around you can also learn and grow.
- Domain expertise. Experience with payments, insurance and financial services domain a plus.
About the Team
As the company embarks on the new mission of “ignite opportunities by setting the world in motion”, the Insurance Engineering team plays a key role in ensuring millions of our driver partners with confidence and care that they, their family and livelihood are protected with Uber.
Uber spends large amount of money on ride sharing Insurance which can be optimized significantly and directly contributes to the company’s bottom line. Help us build the software systems that will make this happen. The team is in its early stages, so you can drive products from inception to adoption and further iterations
Insurance Engineering team’s goal is to bring necessary, fairly priced products and magical claims experience to our drivers and riders globally using cutting edge technologies. We build applications to give partners and riders peace of mind and help recover from unexpected. We build scalable systems for our operations team and biggest partner insurers to streamline and integrate incident lifecycle management. We also build strong platform that not only supports today’s needs, but also enables future growth of providing protection of all modalities in the new “gig-economy”.
We believe that leveraging technology, Uber data and incredible talent, what this team builds would differentiate Uber from others competition, and make a huge and meaningful impact for the company.