What is the work?
As an Uber SRE Engineering Manager you will lead a team of SRE colleagues. You will develop plans and set objectives with your team, negotiate engagement details with your development partners and business owners, and organize the work of your SRE squad. You will be responsible for measuring and reporting on reliability, systems capacity, performance and the overall maintainability of systems.
You will provide normal management services to your team, including career development, coaching, mentoring, performance evaluations, developing promotion cases, project prioritization and task assignment.
Your Squad of SREs will be responsible for the list below and you should be familiar with all of the work.
- Measurement, monitoring, and alerting
- Automation of deployment and configuration
- Develop reliability tools and frameworks for use by all engineers
- Work with development partners to shape the architecture, design, and implementations of new and existing systems to enhance their reliability, performance, efficiency, and scalability
- Lead incident response, postmortem analysis, and review as well as coordinate on-call for your share of Uber’s most critical systems,
- Drive efficiencies in systems and processes: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring and root cause analysis.
- We help development teams use infrastructure more effectively,
- We instrument services to provide situational awareness for service owners,
- We automate reliable deployment and rollback machinery,
- We orchestrate incident preparation, incident response, incident review and post-mortem,
- We design and lead deployment and operational processes,
- We are on point for capacity planning and to help teams anticipate and prepare for growth.
What you'll need
- Passion, drive and a deep feeling of ownership.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Experience in the Linux environment and a good understanding of its fundamentals and internals: filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, etc.
- A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged, and passionate co-workers.
- Employees receive Uber credits every month.
- Monthly gym reimbursement.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.