What You’ll Do
- Actively seek out the toughest technology and engineering problems and solve them with little to no guidance
- Own large opportunities and initiatives and drive clarity, convergence and closure across teams.
- Take the larger vision or challenge and distill it down with the leadership team into strategies and plans including trade-offs required to realize the vision.
- Staff level engineers are exceptional mentors. They are trusted advisors for both team members and leaders alike. They deal with conflict in a mature and thoughtful.
- Creative problem solver with excellent understanding of business goals and are able to identify and solve high impact, highly complex problems. A good collaborator who values teamwork.
- Strong Code and documentation where your code should be used as the example for your company and you have the ability to build and design technical solutions from the ground up. Possess strong ownership of the architecture, design and code you own or inherit.
- Champion best software engineering practices such as quality of service, continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.)
- Proven track record of results as a Staff Engineer level or above at a premier technology company
- 10+ years’ experience designing, implementing large scale distributed systems (serving 5K+ QPS, participating in 100M+ in transactions)
- Experience with multiple programming languages (Go, Java, Python) and data stores (MySQL, Cassandra, Redis, etc.)
- Deep, industry leading expertise in one or more technology domains and are the "go-to" person for one or more areas of their business.
Bonus Points If
- Built large scale projects with stream processing and batch processing.
- Understanding of AI, Machine Learning and Deep Learning.
- Experience in conversational, voice, personalized, recommended, search, answer discovery.
- Experience working in agile/scrum methodologies.
About the Team
Customer Obsession’s mission is to Make Uber the preferred platform by enabling exceptional customer experiences through defect-free products, self-service and agent assisted support systems.
The Customer Obsession team ensures all of Uber's lines of businesses and partners have a flawless Uber experience. We design and build the entire customer engagement platform for the fastest growing startup in the world. From the moment you engage with Uber through various channels and modalities to, when a customer service agent solves your problem, and everything in between; our team provides all engineering for a magical, personalized experience. You know how you can access your rider rating now? That was us. Driver took a poor route or the food arrived cold and you want to get money back? Hey, we just launched that feature.
Creating engineering solutions for our customers and partners is rewarding because we know we make every experience better by providing a world-class customer engagement experience. We look at every facet of your journey with Uber and pro-actively predict and solve your problems before they happen, or we make sure your problem is solved as fast as humanly possible. In addition to ensuring you have a magical experience with Uber, we also have a huge impact on Uber's bottom line.
Uber is constantly evolving and growing. But that growth needs to happen efficiently and safely, and that's where we step in. We keep an eye on product efficiency and ensure the incredible growth doesn't create product pitfalls for customers and partners, and we make sure these costs don't spiral out of control. We work with teams around the company to ensure their features are efficient and not cause additional pain points. By doing this, we keep the product great and keep customers and partners happy.