Indianapolis is a Midwestern jewel worth exploring, from its eclectic local music scene to their countless museums and memorials. Whether you’re in town to cheer on the Indianapolis Colts or meeting colleagues at the Indiana Convention Center, Uber is one of the best ways to get around Indianapolis. Uber can even pick you up or drop you off at the Indianapolis International Airport (IND), and make it easier for you to get around town.
If it’s your first time flying in or out of IND, here are some helpful things to know that should make your trip a breeze:
Indianapolis International Airport: tips and resources
- Uber Airport Page: The information you need on requesting a ride can be found at Uber’s airport page for IND. After you’ve picked up your bags, open the app and confirm that you’re located at the Ground Transportation Center on the arrivals level. If you have trouble finding your Uber, don’t hesitate to call and coordinate.
- Terminal Map: Save time at the airport by reviewing a map of the terminals. You can also see what dining options are available, and just in case you skipped lunch on your way out the door, one of Indiana’s best burgers is available at the 96th Street Steakburgers outpost at IND.
- Flight Status: Check the status of your flight so you’re aware of any changes.
- TSA Guidelines: Review the latest TSA guidelines before you pack your bags.
- Security Wait Times: Speaking of the TSA, you can view the wait times for security by looking on their website.
- Traffic Report: Stay abreast of road conditions by listening to WIBC 93.1 FM. If you need to find alternate routes to the airport, you can use Google Maps.
- Airport Info: For the latest news out of IND, you can follow them on Twitter. You’ll also find more helpful travel tips over at their Facebook page and some incredible images on their Instagram.
Where to go in Indianapolis
Often referred to as Nap Town by the locals, Indianapolis is anything but sleepy. There’s plenty to see and do for the whole family, and the town is even gaining a reputation as one of the more underrated foodie destinations in the country right now. Check out some of the recommended destinations below, and use Uber to help you get around. If you’re traveling with family and need the extra space, request an UberXL.
- Indianapolis Children’s Museum: One enjoyable place to take the whole family is the Indianapolis Children’s Museum, the largest kid’s museum of its kind in the world. With five floors filled with artifacts and interactive exhibits, you’ll find a children’s theater, a planetarium, and an immaculately restored carousel from 1917.
- Rook: With an emphasis on redefining Asian street food though a modern lens, Rook is one the best new restaurants in the Indianapolis food scene. Superstar chef Carlos Salazar’s steamed buns and rice bowls are proudly on display, as well as Mac & Cheeks, a dizzying mixture of kimchi, pork cheeks, cheddar, and orecchiette.
- White River State Park: You don’t have to get out of the city to commune with nature—White River State Park has plenty of trails and waterways to keep you occupied. White River also just happens to be the home of the Indianapolis Zoo and the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, the home of a large collection of indigenous art works from North America, as well as more contemporary works by Andy Warhol, Georgia O’Keeffe, and Kay WalkingStick.