Lots of riders are expected to be looking for rides to and from South by Southwest across Austin from March 8 – 17, 2019, especially in the downtown area. With Uber as the official rideshare partner of SXSW, this festival is your opportunity to earn.
Picking up riders
Riders are expected to be requesting from areas north of 7th St, west of Brazos St, south of 4th St, and east of Red River St throughout the festival.
It’s recommended to contact riders to confirm their location and to pull to a safe curbside space for pickup.
Navigating the roads during SXSW
During the festival, the city and festival will have road closures in effect across the downtown area, with primary road closures on:
- 6th St, from I-35 Frontage Rd to Congress Ave
- Sabine St, Red River St, Neches St, Trinity St, San Jacinto Blvd, Brazos St, and Congress Ave, from 5th St to 7th St
- Select lanes along 5th St and 7th St, from I-35 Frontage Rd to Congress Ave
- Red River St, from 8th St to 10th St and from 4th St to Davis St
- 9th St, from I-35 Frontage Rd to Neches St
- Trinity St, from 1st St to 4th St
- 4th St and Driskill St, from I-35 Frontage Rd to Red River St
Using the navigation on your Uber Driver app can help you receive up-to-date road closure and routing information. Signs, message boards, and traffic staff around the downtown area can point you in the right direction. Following all traffic laws can help ease your pickup and dropoff experience at the festival.
Opportunities to earn more at the festival
Throughout the week, during periods of high demand, you can earn between $2 to $8 extra for every trip taken in the downtown area. To find opportunities to earn more, you can check the app to learn about special promotions that may be launched during the festival.
Greenlight Hub temporary extended hours
The Austin Uber Greenlight Hub will be extending their business hours during SXSW:
- 9am – 6pm on Wednesday, March 6 to Friday, March 8
- 9am – 4pm on Saturday, March 9
- 9am – 6pm on Monday, March 11 to Friday, March 15
- 9am – 3pm on Saturday, March 16
As an added bonus, snacks will be available for you to recharge between trips. Visit us between 1pm and 3pm, March 8-13, to take a break and enjoy a treat on us.