Townsville (TSV) Airport
Uber has a designated driver-partner waiting area and pick-up zone at Townsville Airport.
- The driver-partner waiting area is the same location as the rider pick-up zone
- When riders leave the terminal and request their Uber they will be directed to the pick-up zone
- Drop-offs can be made in the public passenger drop-off area, rather than the Uber pick-up zone
- When you enter the waiting area you will be placed in a virtual queue, which means you will receive trip requests on a First-In-First-Out (FIFO) basis
- This system has been designed to help ensure driver-partners who have been waiting in queue the longest receive requests first.
How to pick-up your rider
Uber driver-partners may wait for ride requests at the designated waiting area only. You will not receive an airport request outside of this waiting area.
Here's how it works:
- Enter the designated Uber waiting area on the corner of Avro Drive and Stinson Avenue (follow the directional signage)
- Wait in the area until you receive a trip request and accept the request as normal
- Your rider will be notified in their app to proceed to the pick-up zone (exit to the left from the terminal). If your rider incorrectly heads to the public pick-up point we suggest politely asking them to proceed to the designated Uber pick-up zone, as Uber pick-ups cannot be made from the public area.
- If you cannot locate your rider you can contact them directly within the app. For that 5-star experience, it's a nice touch to help your rider with their luggage
- Once your rider is in your vehicle begin the trip as normal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I lose my place in the FIFO queue if the rider cancels?
No, you will not lose your place in the queue if your rider cancels. However, you may lose your place in the queue for any of the following reasons:
- You do not accept a trip request
- You end or cancel a trip request
- You leave the airport area
- You go offline.
Will I know my position in the FIFO queue?
Yes, you will generally be able to view your position in the FIFO queue when you are waiting at the Airport. This is an approximation to help you decide if you wish to wait in the Airport area or head elsewhere to receive trip requests.
Are there bathroom facilities available?
You are welcome to use the facilities available in the Townsville Airport terminal. We suggest going offline and ensuring you are parked safely if you need to leave your vehicle.
How does short trip protection work?
Now if you get a short-distance trip* from TSV, we'll hold your spot for 6 hours, so that you can return to the same virtual queue and get another trip quickly. If a trip is eligible for short trip protection, we'll let you know in the app before you accept the trip.
*To be eligible for short trip protection, you must be waiting in an airport queue for at least 15 minutes. Short trip protection is valid for 6 hours at the same virtual queue and remains in place even if you go offline or do other trips before returning to the airport's queue. Airport short trip protection distance radius is subject to change.
Will I still get other trips if I am in the Airport queue?
To minimise your waiting time at the airport and to keep Uber as reliable as possible in the surrounding suburbs you may at times receive a request from the surrounding area. These trip requests can be accepted as normal.
What is the best time to wait at the Airport?
This can differ across the week depending on flight arrival times. We recommend checking information made available from Townsville Airport on flight arrivals to choose when you wish to wait at the Airport and maximise your chance of receiving trip requests.
Is there a fee for drivers at the Airport?
No, there is no fee charged to drivers for picking up or dropping off at Townsville Airport.