Cairns (CNS) Airport
Uber has designated pick-up and drop-off zones at Cairns Airport.
- There are different zones for the international and domestic terminals and different zones for pick-ups and drop-offs
- The Airport has a specific waiting area for driver-partners to queue in whilst waiting for trip requests
- When you enter the waiting area you will be placed in a virtual queue, which means you will receive trip requests on a First-In-First-Out (FIFO) basis
- This system has been designed to help ensure driver-partners who have been waiting in the queue the longest receive requests first.
How drop-offs work
Uber is a smart option for travellers heading to the airport. At CNS, simply drop-off riders at the Uber drop-off zone. There is a drop-off zone at both the domestic and international terminals, as indicated on the below map.
Note that Uber driver-partners are not permitted to drop-off riders in the public drop-off area. You must use the designated Uber zones. The drop-off zones are located before the pick-up zones.
How to pick-up your rider
Uber driver-partners may wait for ride requests at the designated waiting area only. You will not receive an airport request outside of this waiting area.
Here's how it works:
- Enter the designated waiting area (follow the directional signage)
- As you arrive, just park behind the car in front of you and wait in the area until you receive a trip request
- Once a car leaves, please move up in line to allow another car to park behind you.
- When you receive a trip request, check if your rider is requesting from the international or domestic terminal
- Proceed to the correct pick-up zone as indicated on the map (look out for Uber signage). If your rider incorrectly heads to the public pick-up point we suggest politely asking them to proceed to the designated Uber pick-up zone, as Uber pick-ups cannot be made from the public area
- Pick-up your rider and begin the trip as normal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I lose my place in the FIFO queue if the rider cancels?
No, you will not lose your place in the queue if your rider cancels. However, you may lose your place in the queue for any of the following reasons:
- You do not accept a trip request
- You end or cancel a trip request
- You leave the airport area
- You go offline.
Will I know my position in the FIFO queue?
Yes, you will generally be able to view your position in the FIFO queue when you are waiting at the Airport. This is an approximation to help you decide if you wish to wait in the Airport area or head elsewhere to receive trip requests.
Are there bathroom facilities available?
Use the pin code 2468 to access the facilities in the holding area. We suggest going offline and ensuring you are parked safely if you need to leave your vehicle.
How does short trip protection work?
Now if you get a short-distance trip* from CNS, we'll hold your spot for 6 hours, so that you can return to the same virtual queue and get another trip quickly. If a trip is eligible for short trip protection, we'll let you know in the app before you accept the trip.
*To be eligible for short trip protection, you must be waiting in an airport queue for at least 15 minutes. Short trip protection is valid for 6 hours at the same virtual queue and remains in place even if you go offline or do other trips before returning to the airport's queue. Airport short trip protection distance radius is subject to change.
Will I still get other trips if I am in the Airport queue?
To minimise your waiting time at the airport and to keep Uber as reliable as possible in the surrounding suburbs you may at times receive a request from the surrounding area. These trip requests can be accepted as normal.
What is the best time to wait at the Airport?
This can differ across the week depending on flight arrival times. We recommend checking information made available from Cairns Airport on flight arrivals to choose when you wish to wait at the Airport and maximise your chance of receiving trip requests.
Is there a fee for drivers at the Airport?
No, there is no fee charged to drivers for picking up or dropping off at Cairns Airport.